Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring apps from Time Machine backup

When I restored everything from Time Machine to my new iMac (Monterey) I seem to have lost my (old) MS Office Word & Excel apps. Is there a way to restore specific apps? When I open Time Machine there seem to be no previous back ups, but there were a number of them when I backed up from iMac (High Sierra). Thank you.

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 1:40 PM

The third option is to use one of the cheaper alternatives I alluded to: LibreOffice or NeoOffice. They are Microsoft functional equivalents and no new learning is required.

Both are available on the Mac App Store.

‎LibreOffice on the Mac App Store

‎NeoOffice on the Mac App Store

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 31, 2022 10:50 AM in response to Hildy44

Sure, you can restore items including apps, but first the bad news: Microsoft will want you to buy new versions of their apps. Microsoft apps written for High Sierra will not function in Monterey.

Whether you restore individual apps from Time Machine or use Migration Assistant when setting up the new Mac will make no difference. Microsoft wants you to pay.

Good news last: You really do not need Microsoft any more. There are plenty of free or low cost alternatives available today.

Restoring apps from Time Machine backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.