Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I exclude applications folder from my Time Machine back up?

The idea is to back up "my data" and not standard applications that come with the operating system and also to keep the Time Machine back up to bare bones necessary files I need backed up.

I assume that all of the standard applications that came with the operating system can be restored to its default anytime.

So given the above statements I have the following questions.

1. Can I exclude standard applications from my Time Machine Back ups?
  2. Can I include applications installed by me - non standard applications in the Time Machine Back Ups?
  3. What happens to the data inside the standard applications associated with me - eg. Notes application and Notes data? Does the data associated with the applications get backed up separately ?

Thanks in advance to all helping out unravel this issue.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 11:58 PM

Let me start with item 3:

Data is NOT stored inside applications, or even together with applications. It is separate, and it is saved in locations that are inside your home folder.

Hence, not backing up applications will not impede backing up your notes, mail, pictures, etc.

macOS is a multi-user operating system. Each user's data is separate from other user's data, and separate from applications, and the OS.

Regarding 1 and 2:

You can decide not to backup the Applications folder. That's fine.

If you are concerned with space, I suggest you just not backup any applications, regardless of them being the ones that come with the OS, or ones you installed yourself. You can always install those again, fresh from the developers' sites.

To exclude some locations from Time Machine, go to System Settings->General->Time Machine, click on Options... and then under "Exclude from Backups" click the + sign to add folders you want to exclude.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 11:58 PM in response to Sunilj10

Let me start with item 3:

Data is NOT stored inside applications, or even together with applications. It is separate, and it is saved in locations that are inside your home folder.

Hence, not backing up applications will not impede backing up your notes, mail, pictures, etc.

macOS is a multi-user operating system. Each user's data is separate from other user's data, and separate from applications, and the OS.

Regarding 1 and 2:

You can decide not to backup the Applications folder. That's fine.

If you are concerned with space, I suggest you just not backup any applications, regardless of them being the ones that come with the OS, or ones you installed yourself. You can always install those again, fresh from the developers' sites.

To exclude some locations from Time Machine, go to System Settings->General->Time Machine, click on Options... and then under "Exclude from Backups" click the + sign to add folders you want to exclude.

Can I exclude applications folder from my Time Machine back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.