Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again.

I have set up a new MacBook fresh install, signed into my Apple ID account at the setup. I know it takes a while for iCloud Drive to fetch the file and folder structure, but after that I waited forever for it to download everything and it didn't.

When I clicked on the little cloud download icon (or right clicked and chose Download now) I got errors saying "The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again." - I have tried for several folders and it does the same thing.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 10, 2022 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 9:55 AM

I have had similar problems with iCloud for a while now. My old MacBook Pro could not get connected to iCloud at all. My brand new MacBook gets stuck while downloading or uploading files. I tried many suggestions, but the conclusion was "just change to an alternative platform". I have started using Google Drive, and it seems to work fine. This is not rocket science, and very disappointing to see these issues persist.

Similar questions

39 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 9:55 AM in response to teomor

I have had similar problems with iCloud for a while now. My old MacBook Pro could not get connected to iCloud at all. My brand new MacBook gets stuck while downloading or uploading files. I tried many suggestions, but the conclusion was "just change to an alternative platform". I have started using Google Drive, and it seems to work fine. This is not rocket science, and very disappointing to see these issues persist.

May 13, 2022 4:52 AM in response to sgfgbdfgbfgb

Yes. Same here. Individual files are downloading but not folders.

I have a workaround though, which is to uncheck the "Optimize storage" option in the iCloud settings panel. But that will download the full iCloud Drive to the disk and could fill up the whole disk if there isn't enough space.

Still, after I did that, my iCloud Desktop and Documents folders are showing the little cloud download icon, even though the contents are fully downloaded to my disk.

Stupid Apple bugs getting on my nerves!

May 12, 2022 2:01 AM in response to teomor

High network speed is required to sync complete iCloud data check it https://www.speedtest.net , sometimes nothing downloads initially , it can take hours to sync ( make sure you have always checked iCloud drive and desktops and documents box ) Set up iCloud Drive on all your devices - Apple Support

Upload and download files from iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Use iCloud Drive to store documents on your Mac and iOS devices - Apple Support

Jun 9, 2022 3:17 PM in response to teomor

Could be that you're having issues with your internet. Try turning the Wi-Fi off and on. You may also want to try connecting to another Wi-Fi network and attempt to download again

If you VPN or security software installed, it's a good idea to uninstall them first and reinstall them after you finish downloading your stuff.

If this is indeed an Wi-Fi issue, try the ethernet or you can do this

Use network locations on Mac - Apple Support (PH)

Hope that helps!

Sep 28, 2022 8:29 PM in response to teomor

2022 09_27 encountered the above referenced message when trying to download iCloud synced files and folders to Mac storage for a clean install (Monterey) on new 4TB SSD (replaced old fusion drive in a 2017 iMac) hard drive.

“The item “archive for file cabinet scans” couldn’t be downloaded.  Please check your internet connection, then try again.”

Tried repetitively to download the remaining folders listed in subfolders of my iCloud Documents folder that still had a cloud outline with an arrow pointing down.  Found that if a single file with the cloud with down arrow image was selected (on the cloud with down arrow), the file would download.

This was very peculiar because I’d just finished downloading all of the rest of the sporadically located folders/files from the iCloud Documents folder in Finder simply by selecting the cloud with down arrow icon/image to the right of the Documents folder name in the iCloud portion of the Finder sidebar.  It successfully completed all the remaining downloads to the hard drive.

Went on line and found  this Apple Community thread with inquiries about this problem from May 2022 (recent, Monterey).  A number of people with the issue, but as usual, no definable solutions.

The item couldn't be downloaded. Please c… - Apple Community

Left the computer for rest of day.

2022 09_28 was going to try several work arounds.  Low and behold, I selected one of the remaining un-downloaded folders and it downloaded.  Went through and progressively increased the span of the folder downloads.  Worked!!  Started on the Photos folder where a number are still only in cloud.  Was working fine and then I clicked on the next cloud with down arrow image for the next folder to download and nothing happened.  I opened the folder and selected the cloud/arrow for an individual file.  Nothing happened.  Right clicked and selected the “Download Now” option - nothing happened.

Totally not working now, but no message showing up like yesterday.  

There are no clock/download progress images showing in the Finder sidebar so I don’t think there are any background transfers going on.  

Does this reflect a Monterey glitch that comes and goes? Will set this aside for awhile and see if it becomes active again after several hours or overnight as just occurred in the last 24 hour period.

2022 09_28 Late Afternoon.  Experimented with a work around.  Copied file from a folder in Finder/documents/photos///…. with cloud/downarrow to Finder/Documents/MyName folder.  As it copied, it downloaded with the progress clock visible.  When done, the cloud disappeared from the pasted file in MyName folder and from the original location in Photos folder.  Tried this with a complete folder also and it worked.  

Interestingly now, in the bottom margin of finder it says it’s downloading the items and then it follows by uploading the items.  Bizarre.  Now all of my files and separate image files (not the ones in photos library), videos, etc are synced in iCloud and my 2 Mac computers.  

I put the larger size SSD in so I could download the full files to my hard drive so it provides one further backup copy (in addition to TM, Carbonite and other external drive backups.

The last bit of work was tedious but it worked. Would be nice if Apple could fix this.

Note: Make sure you have the status bar showing so you can view the download/upload activity (in View menu on Finder).

May 22, 2022 1:19 PM in response to Tready66

I suddenly have this issue too, if I download a file, it downloads, but if I download a folder, it says "The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again." - obviously not the Internet as individual items download fine! - very frustrating, please fix this Apple!

I do not have any vpn services , cleaners / anti virus, nothing I can think of that can cause this, third party softwares are things like Notion.

Jun 9, 2022 9:51 AM in response to teomor

Same problem here. Internet connection is fine, no VPN, this is elementary stuff. "Please check your Internet connection, then try again" is not helpful at all. There is nothing wrong. Sync is buggy and it's really annoying. Dropbox worked so much better, thinking about returning to it.

Sometimes "killall bird" in a term window will get stuck syncs going again, but it's ridiculous to have to resort to terminal commands for basic functionality. This is a brand-new mac studio with the current versions of everything. Come on, Apple, fix this.

Jun 26, 2022 5:40 PM in response to teomor

Me too. Problem is that I see data in iCloud Finder integration on the mew MBP. But new folder are not syncing from other devices and vice versa. My internet connection is fine. 500/500. Note the new terminal command in macOS 12 "networkQuality". I dislike the error message "Please check your Internet connection, then try again." Apple please check on better suggestions. Internet connection good. CONNECTION to iCloud fully is the problem. It is not LuLu (firewall app). It is not MalwareBytes. Reboots?, check. The Optimize Mac Storage setting toggle on/off does nothing to jog the files into sync. Sign out/sign in just dumped a copy of what was in sync to the root level as a safety. It's just the new Mac running 12. Not 10.15 or the iOS devices. Not sure what it is but it makes it unreliable. Having only 50, 60, 65, 80% (who knows) of the old files and none of the new folders and files. The rest of the iCloud data related apps seem fine. Calendars, reminders, Notes, photos sync almost in real time. I am on the 50 GB plan. I'll keep at it and check back here.

The item couldn't be downloaded. Please check your internet connection, then try again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.