Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Calendar & Photos

HI! I recently upgraded from High Sierra to Catalina, but I have some problems (of course I didn't have these problems with High Sierra!)

Calendar - I use Calendar a lot and everyday I change, move and add a lot of events and memos. However it often happens that (these are examples ...)

(1) -after creating a new event(or after making a few changes)- it suddenly loses what I wrote (in notes, the new date or hour etc etc) (sometimes -though not always- I can cope with this malfunction "playing" with command+Z).

OR

(2) after moving an event from a date to another one (different from the day where I created the event) I can't find this event in the new location but I can find it again in the previous date (that is I can't move it). I have to do the changes more than one time only and I succeed in my plannig... at last!

I'm trying to face this awkward behaviour saving Calendar ASAP and very often (that is closing the app and reopening), but it's a hard way to manage the app.

Anyway what I mean is that Calendar worries me because I think it can be no more reliable (that is... may happen that I'm not always be aware of the Calendar changes ... so what's happening if I miss appointments or don't find my memos?)

Photos - The situation with Photos is simpler. Photos crashes. If I'm working hard with this app (searching, moving and removing items, for instance) suddenly crashes. Afterwards I re-open the app and I can work, maybe without any crash for a while... or for a long time, but Photos crashes almost two or three times a day.

Well I hope that with the others Apps I'll have no surprises, but I'm really worried.

Why does it happen?

I read that Catalina is a stable macOs ...and I don't play with the system and I don't install unsafe software.

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions.

MacBook Pro 15" mid 2014 - 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core - RAM 16 GB

- MacOS 10.15.7 - Macuser since 1984

Calendar version 11.0

Photos version 5.0

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 10, 2022 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 9:18 AM

It sounds like something may be confusing the OS.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

Please see: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 9:18 AM in response to Alberto Ferrari1

It sounds like something may be confusing the OS.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

Please see: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode disables loading third-party drivers, forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and does other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Catalina Calendar & Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.