Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I verify which Hard Drive is in my iMac?

I just had my iMac repaired at Apple, a late 2013 27". Its hard drive failed and they installed a new 3TB Fusion drive (same as original). I booted it up and went through System Report, etc. to verify that it indeed has a 3TB drive. For the life of me, no matter where I look, I can't find ANYTHING that indicates it's any more than 300GB.

First, I realize 3TB is more than I'll ever need, but I paid for it. Second, I know Apple isn't going to knowingly install the wrong drive but mistakes do happen and I'd like to see it in the System report. Is there a way I can see that indeed I have a 3TB Fusion drive?

Thank you in advance for any info.

BTW, I thought of trying to contact the store to check (I'd rather not have to shlep back) but Apple is very good about routing you away from physical contact. :)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2022 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 1:36 PM

I replied to myself because Apple Support was stumped UNTIL they thought to use Disk Utility. The 3TB disk was there, just not initialized or mounted. The 121GB drive was a solid state from which the iMac boots; i.e. Fusion Drive. To be fair, I would have expected Apple to initialize it or at least tell me it was there but invisible, but that's OK, their support came through. Thanks again to WheelieNick for taking the time to respond.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 1:36 PM in response to nlk10010

I replied to myself because Apple Support was stumped UNTIL they thought to use Disk Utility. The 3TB disk was there, just not initialized or mounted. The 121GB drive was a solid state from which the iMac boots; i.e. Fusion Drive. To be fair, I would have expected Apple to initialize it or at least tell me it was there but invisible, but that's OK, their support came through. Thanks again to WheelieNick for taking the time to respond.

How can I verify which Hard Drive is in my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.