Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where am I supposed to store my stuff?

I am aware that in the new OS operating systems, you can no longer add folders to the main drive. On all my existing computers running new OSs, I must have been grandfathered in to allow folders like "Professional" and "Personal" and "Business".

Now I can't. I have a new computer running Monterey with no place to put my stuff. Where do people put it if you can't add it to "Macintosh HD" any more?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 10, 2022 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 2:26 PM

Richard Setterberg wrote:

I am aware that in the new OS operating systems, you can no longer add folders to the main drive. On all my existing computers running new OSs, I must have been grandfathered in to allow folders like "Professional" and "Personal" and "Business".

Now I can't. I have a new computer running Monterey with no place to put my stuff. Where do people put it if you can't add it to "Macintosh HD" any more?

Your user folder is where you can store all your stuff—

See it in the sidebar (?) of the Finder.

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 2:26 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

Your user folder is where you can store all your stuff—

See it in the sidebar (?) of the Finder.

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Get to know the Finder on your Mac

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple Support

May 11, 2022 9:45 AM in response to Richard Setterberg

All that said, a single click of the finder icon in the dock is good enough for me. I just have to train myself to do it.

I don't think I have ever clicked on the Finder icon in the Dock...

Command N will open the default Finder that you have set in Finder>Preferences>General

in the drop down menu you can see the whole list of shortcuts to easily access your files:

you can drag any folder on (or off holding the command key) to the Finder sidebar for direct access

May 10, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

I am aware that in the new OS operating systems, you can no longer add folders to the main drive.

Not sure where you got that idea. It's completely false.

You should store data inside your home directory. Macintosh HD/users/yourusername.

May 10, 2022 4:48 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

It is not "completely false". Unless you know of a workaround, I cannot add a folder to the level of the drive that contains apps, system, library etc. I was hoping for something as simple as it used to be, but the best I can think of is adding an alias of my home folder to my desktop.

You don't want to do that. You should be adding it to your user home directory.

Storing data directly off the root of the drive is a very bad idea, regardless of what OS you're running.

May 10, 2022 7:48 PM in response to Richard Setterberg

Double clicking gets me to all my files and folders without having to dig down or opening a window just to access it.

I have had my Finder preferences set to open my home folder when I open a new Finder window. I think you can pick whatever folder makes you happiest.

Then, I have my favorites in the sidebar set to a few strategic locations that “spring open” when I hover over them to drop files into the desired location, quickly.

You might consider learning about the features that have existed in Finder since around AD 2000 when OS X was first released. I haven’t stored files outside my home since OS 9.

May 11, 2022 7:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have my finder set to the the home folder, and I also use the sidebar to flexibly list my important folders.

I've been a consistent and exclusive Mac user since 1986, so my understanding of Finder features is fairly robust. Since inception, I've put folders wherever I wanted them. It set us apart from Windows (motto: What can't I do today?) For good security reasons, I understand, you can't do that anymore. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Unlike you, I never put anything in my home folder, and I've managed to make it through 36 years of Mac use without trouble.

All that said, a single click of the finder icon in the dock is good enough for me. I just have to train myself to do it.

Where am I supposed to store my stuff?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.