Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck at disk utily trying to restore mac

Trying to restore my imac to Monterey. I used internet recovery and the restored from time machine back up. Then a widow with install Lion popped up and said my start up cannot be used. When I go to disk utily, i am not sure what to do to fix it

Posted on May 12, 2022 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 10:48 AM

You will need to create a bootable installer for Monterey and install it. The process you used sounds like you used Internet Recovery, IR is used for installing the version of Mac OS that was installed on the computer when it shipped and is NOT used for installing the version of Mac OS that was last installed.

In order to get a bootable installer you will need access to another Mac and have a USB flash drive. Then please follow the instructions in How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 10:48 AM in response to Mackerjax

You will need to create a bootable installer for Monterey and install it. The process you used sounds like you used Internet Recovery, IR is used for installing the version of Mac OS that was installed on the computer when it shipped and is NOT used for installing the version of Mac OS that was last installed.

In order to get a bootable installer you will need access to another Mac and have a USB flash drive. Then please follow the instructions in How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

May 12, 2022 7:47 AM in response to ku4hx

Thanks, I used internet recovery. Then pop up said install Lion. It should be Monterey. Then it says my disk which is named HOSH cannot be used. The left side of my Disk utility shows:

500.11GB WDC WD500….

HOSH

SuperDrive (grayed out)

disk 1

Mac OS X Base System

I amnot sure what it should look like.

Stuck at disk utily trying to restore mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.