Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing apple tv

Looks like Apple has turned off family sharing on Apple TV (as in, if I upload a movie to Apple TV app on my Mac, it is NOT available on the Apple TV hardware attached to the TV). Anyone know why?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 12, 2022 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2022 11:03 AM

if I upload a movie to Apple TV app on my Mac

If you mean streaming local files, like home videos, Apple calls that Home Sharing, not Family Sharing (which is a different service).

One would access the home shared content through the Computers app on Apple TV box, not through the TV app on Apple TV box.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Stream content with Home Sharing on Apple TV - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2022 11:03 AM in response to mark-enigma2me

if I upload a movie to Apple TV app on my Mac

If you mean streaming local files, like home videos, Apple calls that Home Sharing, not Family Sharing (which is a different service).

One would access the home shared content through the Computers app on Apple TV box, not through the TV app on Apple TV box.

Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

Stream content with Home Sharing on Apple TV - Apple TV user guide - Apple Support

family sharing apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.