Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mobile documents taking up hard drive space

I use iCloud for storage, but just discovered huge storage of files in mobile documents. can I delete these or will they disappear from icloud? etc

IMAC Monterey

iMac Pro

Posted on May 14, 2022 3:24 PM

7 replies

May 14, 2022 3:28 PM in response to filmcat

iCloud Drive and iCloud Photos are both syncing services that keep a local copy on your Mac.

You can potentially reduce the storage used on your Mac by turning on the Optimize Storage option in iCloud Photos as described in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

For iCloud Drive, the option is at Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the Preferences sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage.

May 14, 2022 3:44 PM in response to filmcat

I haven't personally tested that but I would strongly advise against it. Those files are designed to be accessed via the Finder "Go" menu iCloud Drive or the Finder sidebar.

If you want to delete those files, delete them from the Finder iCloud Drive.

If you want to keep the files but potentially reduce the local storage that they use, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud (in the Preferences sidebar) > Optimize Mac Storage.

If you want cloud-only storage with no local copy, look at the options in other services such as OneDrive, DropBox, Google, etc.

Mobile documents taking up hard drive space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.