Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import 4K on Final Cut 10.4.6 / Create 9:16 version

I'm on Final Cut 10.4.6, OS 10.14.6.

The videographer is shooting a video that I will edit as both a 16:9 and 9:16 version.

Three questions please:

a) Can FCP 10.4.6 import 4K and can I work with it bug free on FCP 10.4.6?

(I can't upgrade FCP because I can't upgrade OS because it's the OS limit of my MacBook Pro)

b) If I CANNOT use 4 K in FCP 10.4.6, is there problematic resolution degredation in the 9:16 version I would crop from the 1920 X 1080 version?

c) What is the easiest way to create a 9:16 version of a project that was originally cut in FCP 10.4.6 at 16:9 resolution? I've searched YouTube but only found videos on how to do this with Premiere.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 15, 2022 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2022 5:04 AM

Before updating, I always make a copy of the existing FCP version - you may just command-D to duplicate, and rename it

"Final Cut Pro 10.4.6"; or you may control-click and choose "Compress Final Cut Pro" to make a zip of it.

Also, if you open a library in a newer version, the library will be updated and can no longer be opened in the old version, so also make a duplicate of it.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2022 5:04 AM in response to Pamela Glintenkamp

Before updating, I always make a copy of the existing FCP version - you may just command-D to duplicate, and rename it

"Final Cut Pro 10.4.6"; or you may control-click and choose "Compress Final Cut Pro" to make a zip of it.

Also, if you open a library in a newer version, the library will be updated and can no longer be opened in the old version, so also make a duplicate of it.

May 15, 2022 4:32 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful.

I don't have the footage yet but it will primarily be interviews in front of portraits in an art gallery, I would intend to blow it up to fill the 9:16 frame.

I am wondering, as you say, if my Mac can handle importing and working with 4K. I've attached the specs for my mac. Might I ask if you think editing in 4 K in this system will be a problem? (No effects, just straight editing.) I don't have the 4 K footage yet.

Is it correct that if I use 1920 X 1080 material and zoom in to fill the 9:16 frame, the resolution will be poor?

Thanks again!

May 15, 2022 4:05 AM in response to Pamela Glintenkamp

a)

10.4.6 can edit 4K videos.

The limiting factor may be your mac: what drive, how is it connected, how much RAM, can have an impact.

Depending on the capabilities of your mac, you may or may not want to use proxies for editing, and switch back to original before exporting the final movie.

b) see above

c)

This heavily depends on what you want to do. The videos have such a different aspect ratio. If you put a 16:9 clip in a 9:16 project, by default it will have big "black" bars on top and bottom. Do you want to scale and crop the sides? Do you want to distort the clips? Only you can tell.

Titles may also need to be adjusted.

Perhaps if you give us an example we can give more specific advice.

May 15, 2022 5:00 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks so much, Tom. May I ask a quick question. I'm in the middle of an important project I have been working on for months in FCP 10.4.6. If I try to upgrade to FCP 10.4.10 on my Mac, and there IS a problem, will this create issues with the project I've been working on in 10.4.6? Is there a way to revert the version of FCP, or another solution if in fact 10.4.10 isn't compatible with Mojave? Thanks again and look forward to your thoughts.

Import 4K on Final Cut 10.4.6 / Create 9:16 version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.