Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil (2nd Gen) lagging with prolonged use.

Hello, why does the Apple Pencil lag if I use it for a while?

I use my Apple Pencil primarily in the notes app, well ... taking notes and I always find that if I am taking lecture notes it the pencil will start to produce very noticeable input delays after using it for about 20 minutes or so; so about two pages of notes taken. I am using a 5th iPad Air and 2nd gen Apple Pencil.

What confuses me most is that when the lag is large I will open another notes tab and sure enough, there is zero noticeable lag. swapping to another notes tab stops the issue. This is what confuses me, why is the notes app poorly optimised for Apple Pencil? I have not used any other app with note taking functionality so I have not been able to witness this being an issue for other applications.

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 15, 2022 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 12:30 AM

This is also happening to me, exact same configuration. Also, iPad heats up a lot and resting the palm on the screen becomes uncomfortable.

The pencil was at 90% charge when the lag started and after switching to another app the iPad cooled down and the lag was gone.

it seems this is an issue with the notes app particularly as it doesn’t happen on other known note taking apps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2022 12:30 AM in response to SnickZ.

This is also happening to me, exact same configuration. Also, iPad heats up a lot and resting the palm on the screen becomes uncomfortable.

The pencil was at 90% charge when the lag started and after switching to another app the iPad cooled down and the lag was gone.

it seems this is an issue with the notes app particularly as it doesn’t happen on other known note taking apps.

May 16, 2022 9:22 AM in response to Peso_123

Hey Peso_123,

It appears that your Apple Pencil (2nd generation) slows down quite a bit while you're taking notes in the Notes app. Good job in finding that starting a new note helps, and we're glad to provide assistance.

Charge your Apple Pencil and check the battery - Apple Support -- The next time this happens, check the battery of your Apple Pencil.

About iOS performance on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support -- This issue may not be limited to your Apple Pencil. Certain conditions can slow down your iPad. We recommend working through the information and steps in this article.

Please let us know the results when you're able.

All the best.

Apple Pencil (2nd Gen) lagging with prolonged use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.