Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV+

Hello

I'm currently watching an Apple TV+ series and after each episode is finished, a blank greyish coloured rectangle appears on part of the tv screen as the show's credits appear.

While this rectangle shows on the screen, none of the Apple TV remote functions will work.

This rectangle appears for approximately 10 seconds and then disappears and then the remote functions will work again.

Is something supposed to show in this rectangle that I can click on?

Otherwise, what is the purpose of this blank rectangle appearing?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on May 15, 2022 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 6:14 AM

Hi P Fleming,

The original issue sounds like the "Up Next" feature isn't working as expected to display the artwork for the next episode in the series you're watching or the next show in your "Up Next" lineup.

You can test clearing the settings. The section "Remove an item from Up Next" in the guide here can assist: Explore Watch Now in the Apple TV app

As your Apple TV is fully updated, if the issue continues reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. You can also start a new post to Apple Support Communities for the automation issue if not address once contacting Apple.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Best.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 6:14 AM in response to P Fleming

Hi P Fleming,

The original issue sounds like the "Up Next" feature isn't working as expected to display the artwork for the next episode in the series you're watching or the next show in your "Up Next" lineup.

You can test clearing the settings. The section "Remove an item from Up Next" in the guide here can assist: Explore Watch Now in the Apple TV app

As your Apple TV is fully updated, if the issue continues reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. You can also start a new post to Apple Support Communities for the automation issue if not address once contacting Apple.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Best.

May 16, 2022 1:13 PM in response to P Fleming

Hi P Fleming,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today.

We'd suggest updating your Apple TV. tvOS 15.5 was just released today: Update your Apple TV.

"Update Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD

1. Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and select Update Software.
  2. If there's an update, select Download and Install. 
  3. Wait for your Apple TV to download the update. Don't disconnect or unplug your Apple TV until the update completes.

After the update downloads, your Apple TV will restart, prepare the update, then install it. When the update is complete, your Apple TV will automatically restart again."

Let us know what happens after the update.

Have a fantastic day!

May 16, 2022 7:17 PM in response to P Fleming

P Fleming,

Thank you for updating. If you haven't already restarted the Apple TV while troubleshooting this issue, please do it now and see if that makes any difference.

If it is still showing the same grey rectangle, the next thing we would want to try is resetting the Apple TV. Take a look at this article for how to do that: Reset Apple TV - Apple Support

May 16, 2022 7:41 PM in response to jeffd55

When I did the update, the Apple TV would've restarted itself at some point to complete the update correct?

I'm not going to reset the Apple TV.

Other than doing the 2-3 OS updates since I bought it last year, installing the Netflix App months ago, and using it as a home hub for Apple HomeKit certified light bulbs, there shouldn't be a need to do that.

I'll try another series and see if the same issue occurs.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I had this grey rectangle issue when I first started using the Apple TV and then I think it just sort of went away after a while.

I don't remember doing anything to solve the issue.

May 16, 2022 7:50 PM in response to P Fleming

On a side note, after doing the Apple TV.tvOS 15.5 update tonight, the automation I've had set up a couple of weeks ago for the lights, is no longer working properly.

The lights did come on at the scheduled time but, that was before I did the update.

The scheduled time for them to turn off has come and gone and the lights are still on.

May 18, 2022 7:08 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

You hit the nail on the head regarding the "Up Next" feature not working as expected.

It's now displaying properly,

Regarding the lights automation issue, that seems to have sorted itself out without me having to do anything.

Maybe doing the Apple TV OS update caused a temporary glitch in the automation schedule.

Thanks for the "Explore Watch Now" link and the help.

Apple TV+

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.