Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro open in safe mode but does not work in normal mode.

Hi there,

I got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel i5 and MacOS is Big Slur version 11.6.5. For last few days, my laptop does not load os in normal mode. I reset the NVRAM and SMC. I also open the MacBook in safe mode ran the disk utility then tried to load the MacOS in normal mode. It asks for the password, then the loading bar shows up. Loading completed for around 80 to 90% then after that screen is frozen. So I ran the recovery mode and reinstalled the MacOS but it did not solve the problem. Sometimes MacOS opened in normal mode (I would 1 time in ten attempts), but soon the desktop screen appears, it froze again. I tried to press command + option + Esc but it did not work. I have to shut down the machine by the long pressing the power button.

Macbook pro open fine in safe mode but did not load up in normal mode. Could anyone help me in fixing the issue?

Posted on May 16, 2022 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 5:26 AM

If you reinstalled the OS from the Recovery Panel, you retained all your user settings, user data and apps. The retained user settings and such may be the source of your problems.

Try erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS from a clean drive using a bootable flash drive, that way you'll start fresh: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Be absolutely certain you have a good, very recent, backup of course, but don't be too quick to migrate anything from it. Run the machine with no customization for a while to determine if your settings and such are causing your problem.

Running fine in safe mode means something objectionable isn't loading. That's a good thing as it helps narrow down the issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2022 5:26 AM in response to muhammadfromdunedin

If you reinstalled the OS from the Recovery Panel, you retained all your user settings, user data and apps. The retained user settings and such may be the source of your problems.

Try erasing the drive and reinstalling the OS from a clean drive using a bootable flash drive, that way you'll start fresh: How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Be absolutely certain you have a good, very recent, backup of course, but don't be too quick to migrate anything from it. Run the machine with no customization for a while to determine if your settings and such are causing your problem.

Running fine in safe mode means something objectionable isn't loading. That's a good thing as it helps narrow down the issue.

May 20, 2022 4:28 PM in response to ku4hx

Thanks for the reply. I managed to open the macos in normal mode. I ran the activity monitor and here is the snapshot of activity monitor:

I ran the disk utility and everything looks fine. Still mds and mds_stores are consuming a lot of CPU resources.

Other I noticed that when I clicked on the search icon and start typing something indexing starting showing up (which was not the case before) as shown in the picture.

Any suggestion to fix the issue?

MacBook Pro open in safe mode but does not work in normal mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.