Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

American Flag keyboard icon removed.

After installing the latest Monterey version 12.4 update, the keyboard icon for the American Flag has been changed to a dark grey box with US in the box. Please allow the original American Flag icon to be placed in the icon as a Choice for those that prefer the American Flag icon.

Thank You.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 16, 2022 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 9:28 PM

The flags are gone for all keyboard countries with the latest MacOS 12.4 update. Instead we have this very ugly lettered ICON that for many countries is hard to read and distinguish , especially if you use several keywords ( French, English, italian, Portuguese, etc ... ). Apple, this is not a political statement. You need to restore them ( all ) . Countries are recognized by their flags, allover the world. Do the right thing.

67 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 9:28 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

The flags are gone for all keyboard countries with the latest MacOS 12.4 update. Instead we have this very ugly lettered ICON that for many countries is hard to read and distinguish , especially if you use several keywords ( French, English, italian, Portuguese, etc ... ). Apple, this is not a political statement. You need to restore them ( all ) . Countries are recognized by their flags, allover the world. Do the right thing.

May 16, 2022 5:49 PM in response to oldmackbook

oldmackbook wrote:

After installing the latest Monterey version 12.4 update, the keyboard icon for the American Flag has been changed to a dark grey box with US in the box. Please allow the original American Flag icon to be placed in the icon as a Choice for those that prefer the American Flag icon.
Thank You.

you can submit your Apple Feedback Product Feedback - Apple

you are posting in the user to user forum

or https://getsupport.apple.com/

May 18, 2022 2:25 AM in response to MarioMorin

MarioMorin wrote:

You need to restore them ( all ) . Countries are recognized by their flags, allover the world.

To have Apple see your comments, you should repeat them at

http://www.apple.com/feedback

(I would emphasize the legibility issues. Countries are certainly recognized by flags, but languages aren't owned by countries, and it's not hard to see why many users would not always want to see a particular flag when typing a particular language.)

Sep 13, 2022 3:55 AM in response to oldmackbook

I don't quite like the current way, it's very unergonomic. "US + US" means (or at least supposed to mean) "US English", but looking at the "US" icon alone and the icon + title combo (which is "US + US") doesn't make this clear. Perhaps there needs to be some indication that it is "US and English" in both icon and title. Ditto for "GB + British". I'd say language indication should be "the main part" of the icon and the country flag the secondary to differentiate between, say, US English and UK English.

Attaching a mockup image how this can be improved. In essence that would be a mixture of old and new ways. The icon can be bigger if needed (e.g. same height, twice as wide).

Color is very important aspect here, e.g. when switching keyboards quickly you can look at the text you are entering and just notice a color change by your side vision to know you are using correct keyboard without actually looking in there (*). Without color this is impossible, you really have to move your focus of attention away from text, onto the menubar, in there you have to figure out where exactly is the keyboard icon (because there are quite a few icons and they are all similar) carefully change between some cryptic "XY" and "YZ" and after that return back to text. Repeat again next time you need to switch the keyboard. Quite a torture and a distraction.

(*) By this logic black background is perhaps a bad idea either, each language should have a color (even if randomly selected) to easily (i.e. by the side vision only) differentiate between, say, "CA. French" and "CA. English" keyboards.

May 18, 2022 6:01 AM in response to MarioMorin

MarioMorin wrote:

Countries are recognized by their flags, allover the world. Do the right thing.

Of the three languages I know (and I use that term rather loosely in two cases), I recognize the flag of one, the U.S. I have only a vague idea of what the Russian flag looks like and I was taught Spanish by a Bolivian. So, while flags may work for you, they many not, if fact, work for everyone.

May 20, 2022 7:02 PM in response to artalwil

artalwil wrote:

I wholeheartedly want to join you in this request!
Besides, it is simply unpatriotic to remove the flag option from the doc!
Alex

I think we have enough patriotism to go around to be honest, even if we are talking about the menubar not the doc.

Apple has been systematically reinventing all the Skeuomorphism which was once the 'golden child..."

going back to 2013 —Jony Ive Explains Why He Decided To Gut Skeuomorphism From iOS 7

Jun 2, 2022 10:42 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I waste time and my focus scrolling one extra language. I assume that there is can be a solution because I can remove the English layout without flag as I the Remove button becomes active when add another layout from the English group of layouts. So if the imported layout had the same properties as the default one then the default layout could be removed. But these are just my assumptions, unfortunately you can be right.

American Flag keyboard icon removed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.