Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete mail from macbook app

Delete a mail app and content from Macbook

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 16, 2022 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2022 7:13 PM

No means to delete the Mail app. It’s protected against deletion.

You can delete the accounts and the contents manually.

If you’re preparing a Mac for sale or giving away:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies

May 18, 2022 9:08 AM in response to shashank44

shashank44 wrote:

I would like go delete the mail app as my storage shows this app is using 8gb

Mail.app cannot be deleted from a Mac running macOS, as mentioned above.

I will infer that you are using an iPhone or iPad here, and not a Mac. (This is the MacBook Pro community.)

I will further infer that your iPhone or iPad is storage under-configured for your current usage.

If I am right about those two inferences…

The 16 GB storage models are insufficient for many folks, and the 32 GB models for some folks, and under-configured iPhones and iPads are never not needing storage management. Buying less storage than you are likely to use means more on-going work managing the available storage for your current needs. Apple has stopped selling iPhone 16 GB and 32 GB models, with 64 GB seemingly the smallest currently available, too.

First thing to do is to update to iOS or iPadOS (15.5 is current), as that includes a number of fixes. This update probably means using a computer, too. This because storage has been tight for a while, and updates get blocked or deferred. Why? These questions often involve iPhones and iPad running much older versions, and very tight on storage, and some of the older iOS and iPadOS versions have had storage-related bugs. Using a computer to update is covered here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As for the question you asked, yes, you can delete Mail app on iPhone and iPad running current iOS or iPadOS software, as described here: Delete built-in Apple apps from the Home Screen on your iOS 14 or later or iPadOS device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

You will also delete all mail messages stored locally.

That Mail app deletion may or may not address your immediate storage issue, though an under-configured device will never not need storage management.

delete mail from macbook app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.