Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Save as' window huge and unresizeable. Help!

Everytime I press the save-as button my finder window appears huge and unresizeable. About 6-times as wide as the screen it appears on. I constantly have to drag the save-as window from left to right and back to properly save a file, which makes me take about 5 minutes to properly save a file. The resize function doesn't work properly - I can make the window even wider, but not smaller. This problem appears on every app I use, for example Archicad, Autocad, Photoshop, Vectorworks, all have the same problem.

How do I solve this problem?

macOS Monterey

Version 12.2.1

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 17, 2022 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 4:29 AM

To add to the very good suggestion from @ Luis S

1 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

2 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

3 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 4:29 AM in response to L_92

To add to the very good suggestion from @ Luis S

1 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

2 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

3 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance

May 17, 2022 3:47 AM in response to L_92

A quick search of the Apple Support Community Forums does present a variety of similar questions ranging from OS X Lion and every version thereafter.

https://discussions.apple.com/search?q=Save%20as%20dialogue%20box%20too%20large&page=1&content=filterDiscussions

As for reluctance to upgrade to current 12.4 - that is a personal choice.

You may have heard this before and sorry if you have.

But the issues presented, appear to be the Developers of these problematic Softwares, has not kept up to date with the Version of macOS it is being used on.

May 17, 2022 3:37 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your quick response. I can't really do that. Very recently released Apple updates usually cause software from third parties to not work properly or not at all anymore (until that specific software is also updated or patched). Moreover, last time I updated my macbook it took me 4 hours to completely re-install all the necessary software and add-ons in order to make everything work again so I feel quite reluctant walking that path again.

Is there no other known solution to this problem? I can't imagine i'm the only person suffering from this 'issue'.

'Save as' window huge and unresizeable. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.