Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Asst

I just want to migrate a small number of files from old to new computer. I don't want a mass migration. How do I selectively choose those specific files I want to migrate. I don't see a solution here. Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 17, 2022 10:38 AM

6 replies

May 17, 2022 1:45 PM in response to ken155

Another possible solution is to put your old Mac in Target Disk Mode , access it like an external HD from your new Mac and copy the files you want over.

However, any 3rd party apps that you want will have to be re-installed and their preferences set.

If you do what rakefmann87 suggests all settings will be restored as they were on the old Mac. A much easier solution.

Also, if you have any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your old Mac, uninstall them before migrating. They are totally unnecessary and can, and most ofter will, compromise system and application performance.

May 17, 2022 11:30 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I tried file sharing but couldn't figure out how to select the files I wanted to transfer.

Copy/paste for the number and file sizes would take me forever. I've exported files to external HD already and that was cumbersome due to xfer speed. I just thought doing it hardwired would be a lot faster.

If all else fails, I will paste what I have.

thanks again for your quick response. I appreciate it.

K

Migration Asst

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.