Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep iCloud upload on new phone, but not download old photos

Hi,

I recently got a new iPhone and am using the same apple ID as my old phone. I don't want my old photos to transfer over to the new phone - BUT want to make sure iCloud is enabled so any new photos are stored in the cloud.

Is this possible? I can't find an answer anywhere. It talks about turning off iCloud - but I want my new phone photos to still be saved.

Posted on May 17, 2022 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 6:13 PM

If you turn on iCloud Photos on the new iPhone, the photos on iCloud will sync with the new phone. There is no option to prevent that. You can potentially reduce the storage space required by turning on the Optimize Storage option. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

The other possibility would be to explore 3rd party storage services which do have options to keep photos in their cloud storage without having a local copy on the phone. They included Google Photos and Dropbox.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2022 6:13 PM in response to nrg91

If you turn on iCloud Photos on the new iPhone, the photos on iCloud will sync with the new phone. There is no option to prevent that. You can potentially reduce the storage space required by turning on the Optimize Storage option. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

The other possibility would be to explore 3rd party storage services which do have options to keep photos in their cloud storage without having a local copy on the phone. They included Google Photos and Dropbox.

Keep iCloud upload on new phone, but not download old photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.