Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad Pro and IOS 15.5 will not allow speak selection to work

I just updated my IPad Pro to IOS 15.5 and now I am frustrated because the speak selection does not work. I use this feature all the time for class. Now the only thing that works it the speak screen and no I do not want to hear menu, previous, next page, blah blah blah… I need the speak selection to work as it focuses on what I need to hear instead of wasting time on everything else. Is there a fix for this? Thank you for your time.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on May 18, 2022 3:19 AM

2 replies

May 19, 2022 6:39 AM in response to Draqo

Hi Draqo,

Let's see if we can alleviate that frustration, as we get that having selected text spoken is an important feature.

Since this started after an iPadOS update, have you restarted your iPad since noticing this happening?

It's a simple step, and can sometimes resolve unexpected issues. Go ahead and give that a try.

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

Next, at Settings > Accessibility > Spoken Content > Toggle "Speak Selection" off and then back on again.

If you're still not getting the selected text to only be spoken, try turning VoiceOver on/off and see that makes a difference.

You should not need VoiceOver turned on for the speak selection to work. So, if this is now needed, you'll want to contact Apple Support and let them know.

Apple Support

Here's the iPad User Guide page:

Hear iPad speak the screen, selected text, and typing feedback - Apple Support

Take care!

May 19, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Draqo

After ANY iOS/iPadOS upgrade/update, you should ALWAYS perform a simple hard reset of your Apple mobile device.

For iPad models with a Home button, do a simple hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake/power button simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

OR

For much newer design iPad models, without a Home button, try the new simple hard reset procedure for the new 2018/2020/2021 iPad Pros, 2020 iPad Air 4 and 2021 iPad Mini 6 models.

1. Press and release the volume up button.

2. Then immediately press and release the volume down button.

3. Then, press and hold the single sleep/wake/power button You will see the Slide to Power off button, but keep on holding down the power button until you see the Apple logo, then let it go.

Once you have performed all the steps, wait for a few seconds and your 2018 iPad Pro will boot up completely to the iPad Pro’s Lock screen.

Best of Luck to You!

IPad Pro and IOS 15.5 will not allow speak selection to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.