Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to factory re-set a Samsung 5T SSD?

I forgot the password on a Samsung SSD. I thought it'd be easy to erase it and begin again via Disk Utility. Nope. It seems one has to jump through endless hoops to factory reset it....beginning by sending SN's to Samsung.

After waaaaaaaay too many hassles, a Samsung helpdesk sent me an app to begin the reset process. I downloaded it.

I got these instructions:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions on how to use:   

1) Run the tool and connect the SSD to your system.   

2) Click the “Scan DISK” button   

3) Click on “Get Key”   

4) Please type the key in an email response back to us or attach a screenshot (MUST BE FOLLOWING PHOTO FORMAT: .jpg, .pdf, .img) of the reset tool window displaying your reset key and send that back to us as an email response.   

5) Once we have received your key, we will then later reply with a converted key. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I followed those instructions, nothing happened...save to present me with the same request for a password...which, of course, I forgot. There was no "scan" icon:

I told the unhelpfuldesk that. It wrote back:

"This is likely due to a security issue, if you have access to another computer you can try opening the tool on that. Please let us know if you would like the Windows version. If you do not then please try to run the following command in your Macs Terminal: chmod +x [path of the file]"

Well, what the **** is the "path of file"? And from where?

When I want to attach a file to an email, I click on an icon that lets me navigate to the desired file. How do I do that in Terminal?

I'm astounded that Samsung makes users jump through so many hoops just to factory reset. I've never had this problem with any other external drives.

Help! 

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 18, 2022 9:23 AM

There are no replies.

How to factory re-set a Samsung 5T SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.