Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Zoom error 1132 (again.....)

I've been suffering from the dreaded 1132 error on Zoom for the last 6 months or so. I'm using a script that is doing the rounds to allow me to bypass the Zoom authentication server, and it works fine. I can't enable e-2-e encryption however, and preferences have to be reset every time I kill the script / app.

There are thousands of 'fixes' out there suggesting the usual nonsense about updating the app, checking your network connection etc. Also, I've tried various combinations of mac spoofing, VPNs, new Apple ID, new user and so on, all without success. Like many people I have come to the conclusion that there is a hardware identifier being used by Zoom to blacklist my machine.

Recently, I've been reading up on UUIDs, and given that the other potential hardware identifiers (MAC, IP) don't seem to be the reason for the block, I tried to determine if you can change or spoof the hardware UUID. So far all I've been able to determine is that (i) changing the UUID will pretty much render your user account inoperable and (ii) spoofing your UUID doesn't appear to be possible (at least from a google search perspective). Seems it was used for cheating in online games / Minecraft, but I couldn't find anything by way of a guide.

So today, I downloaded a trial version of Parallel Desktop and installed a Windows 11 VM. Downloaded and installed Zoom, and hey presto, right in. The Windows VM has a different hardware UUID to my MBA. As an aside, I did read two examples whereby a significant hardware change also removed the error:

• replacement of the ethernet card in a Macbook
  • replacement of the logic board

Presumably both these changes resulted in a refreshed UUID.

Conclusion:

• Zoom is using a (seemingly unchangeable) macOS hardware identifier to blacklist my MBA
  • The blacklist is hardware level, meaning no account using the machine can utilise Zoom (except through the browser extension, which is a terrible user experience)
  • In the event I sell my MBA (which I plan to do in the next few months when they're refreshed), the buyer will not be able to use Zoom
  • Presumable this is why Zoom is not available on the Mac app store, as it uses a hardware identifier, something which i think apple stopped iOS developers using some years ago

Any thoughts on this?. I know it's a 3rd party app, so please no smart comments about 'contacting zoom support'. I have done and they stonewalled me. It may simply be unethical of Zoom to do this, which seems contrary to the values of apple as a company. Should I disclose to a potential buyer that they wont be able to use Zoom for reasons unknown (given the above is conjecture, I don't have any evidence beyond my amateur sleuthing)?.

Thanks for reading!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 18, 2022 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 9:00 AM

Quinnus wrote:

• I've been suffering from the dreaded 1132 error on Zoom for the last 6 months or so. \

Any thoughts on this?. I know it's a 3rd party app, so please no smart comments about 'contacting zoom support'.

For your third party app—If in doubt refer to the developers website, search: Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates

Troubleshooting Zoom video crashes

Troubleshoot - Zoom Support

Frequently asked questions - Zoom Support

Zoom technical support

Contact Us - Zoom

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2022 9:00 AM in response to Quinnus

Quinnus wrote:

• I've been suffering from the dreaded 1132 error on Zoom for the last 6 months or so. \

Any thoughts on this?. I know it's a 3rd party app, so please no smart comments about 'contacting zoom support'.

For your third party app—If in doubt refer to the developers website, search: Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility/updates

Troubleshooting Zoom video crashes

Troubleshoot - Zoom Support

Frequently asked questions - Zoom Support

Zoom technical support

Contact Us - Zoom

May 23, 2022 12:24 PM in response to Quinnus

Quinnus wrote:

I've been suffering from the dreaded 1132 error on Zoom...

I'm using a script that is doing the rounds to allow me to bypass the Zoom authentication server, and it works fine.

You conveniently left of out the important bit:

”I know it's a 3rd party app, so please no smart comments about 'contacting zoom support'. I have done and they stonewalled me.”

Try not bypassing the authentication server...and compare your results.

You can try an alternate third party app— if your Zoom is failing, and no response from the Developer.

you can always call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

May 23, 2022 12:06 PM in response to leroydouglas

You can try an alternate third party app— if your Zoom is failing, and no response from the Developer.

or on line Apple Support

Man why are you being so mean. I already explained the only way I can access the service is bypassing the authentication server, like 100's and 100's of other Mac users. Zoom fails to acknowledge the problem. They're using a unique hardware identified to do this. Zoom have in effect crippled my laptop. I'm not having a go at you, or at apple, I'm trying to find a solution to something which seems very unfair.

I said I contacted Zoom and they stonewalled me. No explanation as to why this happened, what I did wrong, or how to fix it.

I don't know why you're giving me such a hard time over a simple question and request for help.

May 23, 2022 12:28 PM in response to Quinnus

Quinnus wrote:

or on line Apple Support

Man why are you being so mean. I already explained the only way I can access the service is bypassing the authentication server, like 100's and 100's of other Mac users. Zoom fails to acknowledge the problem. They're using a unique hardware identified to do this. Zoom have in effect crippled my laptop. I'm not having a go at you, or at apple, I'm trying to find a solution to something which seems very unfair.

I said I contacted Zoom and they stonewalled me. No explanation as to why this happened, what I did wrong, or how to fix it.

I don't know why you're giving me such a hard time over a simple question and request for help.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  Apple Support

Zoom error 1132 (again.....)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.