Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Little help resetting a 3rd Generation Apple TV?

Hadn't used this in quite some time, hooked it up (directly via HDMI) to TV, followed prompts to input WiFi/password info, then screen went black. Assuming it must've immediately started upgrading software/firmware, I left it sitting for a couple hours. After still just getting a blinking light and it not responding to the remote, I unplugged power, let it sit for a minute and started it back up. Nothing. Tried a different HDMI cable, a couple more rounds of on/off and still nothing. I fear that I bricked it by interrupting the software update and am hoping there's a solution. I connected it to my MBP (running Catalina) via USB and iTunes isn't recognizing it, so can't do anything there at present. Any ideas?

Posted on May 18, 2022 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 1:03 AM

I connected it to my MBP (running Catalina) via USB and iTunes isn't recognizing it

Catalina doesn’t have the iTunes application anymore.

Instead, for restoring purposes, you may find the Apple TV box listed as a device in the sidebar of a Finder window.

To restore through a computer: Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

- Take note that some models need to be powered on their own at the indicated moment.

- Take note that the USB cable needs to support data transfer; not any charging cable will do.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2022 1:03 AM in response to benergy

I connected it to my MBP (running Catalina) via USB and iTunes isn't recognizing it

Catalina doesn’t have the iTunes application anymore.

Instead, for restoring purposes, you may find the Apple TV box listed as a device in the sidebar of a Finder window.

To restore through a computer: Restore your Apple TV - Apple Support

- Take note that some models need to be powered on their own at the indicated moment.

- Take note that the USB cable needs to support data transfer; not any charging cable will do.

Little help resetting a 3rd Generation Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.