Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three finger swipe between pages randomly stops working

I get a bug on my MBP 15-inch (2018) where the "swipe between pages" action with three finger swipe randomly stops working. I can temporarily fix the issue by going into System Preferences and 'reset' it by unchecking and rechecking the gesture under the Trackpad/More Gestures settings. It's frustrating because I use this gesture a lot when web browsing, and it happens at least once a day. I am on macOS Monterey 12.4, and I think I've been dealing with this since I upgraded to the most recent OS version.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 19, 2022 3:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 3:11 PM

Hi Leroy,

Yes, I've rebooted more than once since updating to OS 12.4.

As for your other suggestions, I think they're a bit beside the point-- the three finger swipe gesture stops working until I reset it manually, and this did not happen before 12.4. It's not a matter of me "adjusting the trackpad to work for me better" or being compelled to use a different swipe gesture---it's a bug.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2022 3:11 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi Leroy,

As for your other suggestions, I think they're a bit beside the point-- the three finger swipe gesture stops working until I reset it manually, and this did not happen before 12.4. It's not a matter of me "adjusting the trackpad to work for me better" or being compelled to use a different swipe gesture---it's a bug.

May 19, 2022 8:40 AM in response to imliz1

imliz1 wrote:

I get a bug on my MBP 15-inch (2018) where the "swipe between pages" action with three finger swipe randomly stops working.

I can temporarily fix the issue by going into System Preferences and 'reset' it by unchecking and rechecking the gesture under the Trackpad/More Gestures settings. It's frustrating because I use this gesture a lot when web browsing, and it happens at least once a day. I am on macOS Monterey 12.4, and I think I've been dealing with this since I upgraded to the most recent OS version.

Have you rebooted more than once since you updated to macOS 12.4(?)

Try a different swipe option if there are conflicts— and compare your results...

Have you made any adjustment to make the trackpad work for you better?

To suit your needs — >System Preferences>Trackpad

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Use Multi-Touch gestures on your Mac - Apple Support

Use Multi-Touch gestures on your Mac - Apple Support

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Change how your trackpad works with Mac - Apple Support

Change Trackpad preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Turn on "three finger drag" for your Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Turn on three finger drag for your Mac trackpad - Apple Support

May 19, 2022 4:07 PM in response to imliz1

imliz1 wrote:

Hi Leroy,

The idea is—toggle some changes, compare your results, verify you have the function—then return to your preferred settings...that is the point.

File a bug report: http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Three finger swipe between pages randomly stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.