Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi on, but restored iPad not connecting

Just restored my iPad. Everything went fine but although my iPhone sees and accesses it the iPad is not. In settings, the Wi-Fi icon shows the network name. It has the blue check mark next to its name under Wi-fi settings.

I tried restarting it, but still nothing. I did forget the network and then logged it back in, still no fan showing top right corner. And cannot finish restoring the iPad.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on May 19, 2022 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 4:04 PM

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for your iPhone hotspot - or the WiFi network to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2022 4:04 PM in response to saje

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

Internet connection difficulties are usually an indication that your device does not have a routable IP Address - your IP Address usually being assigned by DHCP. When this occurs, your iPad may only have a self-assigned link-local IP address that begins 169.254.x.x.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with DHCP and preventing your device from obtaining a valid IP Address for your iPhone hotspot - or the WiFi network to which you are attempting to connect. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable or remove the Security App and/or VPN.

DHCP is frequently used to automatically obtain an IP Address. Until your iPad has a valid IP Address to connect to your network, you will not have an internet connection. Disabling or removing VPN and/or the offending security App should allow DHCP to operate normally - allowing connection to your network and the internet.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

May 19, 2022 4:49 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you for your detailed response. I prefer getting as much information about a problem than too little. I did have a VPN on the iPad, but here's the thing: because the device was not connecting to the local network, I was unable to download that software back onto the iPad. When I found the icon for it, I realized it was waiting for the wi-fi connection to download. I clicked on it thinking I'd delete it, but immediately it began downloading its software. I looked at the wi-fi indicator and it still didn't show up, but as soon as the VPN finished downloading, VOILA! The fan, the vpn and the internet all returned to the iPad. I'm sure there are several factors that all conspired to make this happen; but where I am, its the end of the day; so I'll toast you as I finally get to do Wordle, find my dinner recipe, and be grateful for people like you who care enough to help the rest of us.

Cheers!

Wifi on, but restored iPad not connecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.