Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio External display goes black while rebooting

I have a new Samsung 4K 32" display. It's connected to my Mac Studio via HDMI. The display works great. I went to update the Studio to 12.4 today, which also went well, but when the Mac rebooted the display went black and stayed that way until I powered it down and back up. After doing that, I could see where the update progression was. I've seen something similar when I had this display connected to a Mac Pro (2013). If I'd boot with the option key so I could pick a different boot partition, the display would go black until I restarted the display, then I could see the boot menu options. I've think I've seen the same thing with trying to go into the recovery partition on the MacPro. I spoke to Apple about this and they say it's sort of expected behavior.

While I can't totally dispute that as this is my first 4K display, I've never seen this before on any Mac I've owned running any Mac OS with any monitor.

It's like on boot, the display and the Mac just aren't in sync and the only way to get them to be in sync is to either restart the monitor or wait until the Mac gets back to the OS level and then the display will work again.

Any thoughts?..Thanx...

Mac Studio

Posted on May 20, 2022 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 11:21 AM

jhyieslame wrote:

I have a new Samsung 4K 32" display. It's connected to my Mac Studio via HDMI. The display works great. I went to update the Studio to 12.4 today, which also went well, but when the Mac rebooted the display went black and stayed that way until I powered it down and back up. After doing that, I could see where the update progression was. I've seen something similar when I had this display connected to a Mac Pro (2013). If I'd boot with the option key so I could pick a different boot partition, the display would go black until I restarted the display, then I could see the boot menu options. I've think I've seen the same thing with trying to go into the recovery partition on the MacPro. I spoke to Apple about this and they say it's sort of expected behavior.

While I can't totally dispute that as this is my first 4K display, I've never seen this before on any Mac I've owned running any Mac OS with any monitor.

It's like on boot, the display and the Mac just aren't in sync and the only way to get them to be in sync is to either restart the monitor or wait until the Mac gets back to the OS level and then the display will work again.

Any thoughts?..Thanx...

What kind of HDMI cable should I use with… - Apple Community

DVI—(?)

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00085842/

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 11:21 AM in response to jhyieslame

jhyieslame wrote:

Any thoughts?..Thanx...

What kind of HDMI cable should I use with… - Apple Community

DVI—(?)

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00085842/

Mac Studio External display goes black while rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.