Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What kind of HDMI cable should I use with hDMI port of MacBook Pro 16” 2021 . Hdmi cable 1.4 or 2.0 or 2.1 to connect it to the 4KTV ? Thanks

What kind of HDMI cable should I use with the hDMI port of MacBook Pro 16” 2021 . I meant HDMI cable 1.4 or 2.0 or 2.1 to connect the MacBook Pro to the 4KTV ? Thanks

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 12:28 PM

Personally I always go for the newest and highest HDMI version number. Even if it is not needed right now, you know that one day you will need it whether for this laptop, a newer laptop, or newer DVR, receiver, or media device. May as well be prepared.

6 replies

Apr 9, 2022 12:17 PM in response to PhotographerCS

PhotographerCS wrote:

What kind of HDMI cable should I use with the hDMI port of MacBook Pro 16” 2021 . I meant HDMI cable 1.4 or 2.0 or 2.1 to connect the MacBook Pro to the 4KTV ? Thanks

See if there is anything here:

MacBook Pro 14- and 16-inch - Technical Specifications - Apple

You would hope they are backwards compatible

see:

<block quote>

Each MacBook Pro M1 Pro or Max model comes with three Thunderbolt 4 ports. On an M1 Pro model MacBook, you can use two of those for external displays. On an M1 Max MacBook Pro, however, you can use all three. If you need another external display (the MacBook M1 Max can support a total of four) you’ll need to use the HDMI port instead, for which you’ll need an HDMI cable. HDMI 2.0 is fine if you’re just looking to connect a 1080p, 1440p, or 4K monitor at up to 60Hz, but if you want to use a high refresh rate 4K monitor, you’ll need an HDMI 2.1 cable.

</block quote>

ref: https://www.cablematters.com/blog/Thunderbolt/apple-macbook-pro-2021-m1-specs-cables-and-connectivity

Apr 11, 2022 7:13 AM in response to PhotographerCS

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Monitors (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

What kind of HDMI cable should I use with hDMI port of MacBook Pro 16” 2021 . Hdmi cable 1.4 or 2.0 or 2.1 to connect it to the 4KTV ? Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.