2018 Mac mini not connecting to newer Samsung display?

Hi, I'm looking for any help to an annoying problem. I have a 2018 Mac mini core i7 3.2, which I just factory reset. It's been working fine with an HP display. I have tried connecting it to a Samsung 28" Viewfinity screen (LU28R550UQNXZA), and it will not recognize it. The Samsung works, I've been using it with an Airbook.

The strange thing is the Mac mini did connect to the screen in recovery mode. I found this out by accident. While it was starting up I was tapping on the keyboard, trying to get the screen to wake up. It allowed me to go through the recovery process, and after logging in, then restarting, it fails to connect. The screen is attached via an hdmi to hdmi cable, which is the same way the Mac mini has been connected to the HP screen.

I've ordered an HDMI to USB-C cable to try that connection. Is there anything I'm missing?

Thank you.

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 9:43 AM

1) With the Mac mini on, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable.

2) Test a short Premium Certified HDMI cable between the Mac mini and Samsung.

3) The USB-C to HDMI adapter and a short Premium Certified HDMI cable should work.

FWIW my 2018 Mac mini with dual Samsungs, also losses the HDMI connection after a startup/restart.

My work-around is to prevent computer sleep, sleep just the displays and only restart for macOS updates.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 9:43 AM in response to JH231

1) With the Mac mini on, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable.

2) Test a short Premium Certified HDMI cable between the Mac mini and Samsung.

3) The USB-C to HDMI adapter and a short Premium Certified HDMI cable should work.

FWIW my 2018 Mac mini with dual Samsungs, also losses the HDMI connection after a startup/restart.

My work-around is to prevent computer sleep, sleep just the displays and only restart for macOS updates.

2018 Mac mini not connecting to newer Samsung display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.