Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot start dictation when VoiceOver on; I

With VoiceOver turned on, I can’t start dictating text on my iPad mini 5. I tap the dictation icon on the on screen keyboard, and the voiceover promt tells me to double tap to turn VoiceOver on, and to double tab two fingers to turn VoiceOver off. But when I double tap, dictation doesn’t go on. No idea why. I do *not* have this problem on my iPhone 13, where double tapping the dictation icon when voiceover is on turns dictation on just like it’s supposed to. So I’m thinking there’s either a hardware problem, or more likely some weird setting on the iPad that’s different from something on my iPhone, but as best I can tell the Accessibility and keyboard settings are all the same on both devices.

Dictation works just fine when VoiceOver is turned off. iPadOS is fully up-to-date, and I’ve tried all the usual standard stuff, like restarting the device, toggling “enable dictation” on and off in settings, etc. Also tried googling the problem. But no help. Any ideas?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 20, 2022 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 4:24 PM

I’m referring to myself because I don’t know how to edit my earlier post. But I figured out what the problem is; I just don’t know how to solve it now. The problem is that I invoke VoiceOver by holding down the home key until Siri comes up and then ask her to turn it on. The problem is that the Siri icon persist in the lower right hand corner of my screen, and she continues to listen. Somehow that intercepts the double tap to turn on dictation. The only way to that I can think of to dismiss Siri is to press the home button again , but of course that kicks me out of the application that I was trying to dictate in and brings me back to the home screen. Tapping anywhere else on the screen doesn’t make Siri go away. So now that I’ve got this far so anyone have any ideas on how to dismiss Siri without leaving the app that’s open?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 4:24 PM in response to phredson

I’m referring to myself because I don’t know how to edit my earlier post. But I figured out what the problem is; I just don’t know how to solve it now. The problem is that I invoke VoiceOver by holding down the home key until Siri comes up and then ask her to turn it on. The problem is that the Siri icon persist in the lower right hand corner of my screen, and she continues to listen. Somehow that intercepts the double tap to turn on dictation. The only way to that I can think of to dismiss Siri is to press the home button again , but of course that kicks me out of the application that I was trying to dictate in and brings me back to the home screen. Tapping anywhere else on the screen doesn’t make Siri go away. So now that I’ve got this far so anyone have any ideas on how to dismiss Siri without leaving the app that’s open?

Cannot start dictation when VoiceOver on; I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.