Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother 2750 printer—Cannot AirPrint from Mac. Works with iPhone & iPad and Brother app

Hi everyone.

There is an old discussion about the same problem I can't respond to.

I just got a new Brother 2750 printer. I'm using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro running Big Sur v11.6.5.

The printer is installed on the Mac and uses AirPrint. It's connected to my wifi network.

I've used AirPrint from an iPad Pro and an iPhone. I can also print with Brother's own app (only PDF and photos).

But I cannot print from the OS' "print" function. Whether from Preview or Firefox, etc. The job gets sent to the queue, I see the status "Printing – Starting page 1." which becomes "page 2", then the printer gets paused and in the queue, the status changes to "Ready to Print – 2 pages".

Any ideas? I don't get what's happening at all, and the previous discussion had no solution either.

But there are reviews on Amazon who have no issues using this printer with their Macs and AirPrint.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 20, 2022 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 4:13 PM

Thank you for the update.

I guess that you have tried resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

A remote diagnosis is difficult. AirPrint should just work...

I assume that you have also tried the full power-cycling procedure (in the exact order) mentioned in my first reply under the other discussion. This may help to properly detect/register all devices using AirPrint.

Disregarding AirPrint for a while, would it be possible to use the macOS 10.15 Catalina printer driver 1.6.0 (https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2750dw_us_eu_as&os=10060) with your computer under macOS 11 Big Sur? This would of course be entirely experimental. It may not work at all. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out, so make sure that you have (multiple) backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 4:13 PM in response to _ray

Thank you for the update.

I guess that you have tried resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

A remote diagnosis is difficult. AirPrint should just work...

I assume that you have also tried the full power-cycling procedure (in the exact order) mentioned in my first reply under the other discussion. This may help to properly detect/register all devices using AirPrint.

Disregarding AirPrint for a while, would it be possible to use the macOS 10.15 Catalina printer driver 1.6.0 (https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl2750dw_us_eu_as&os=10060) with your computer under macOS 11 Big Sur? This would of course be entirely experimental. It may not work at all. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out, so make sure that you have (multiple) backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera) before testing anything.

May 20, 2022 4:19 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Yeah, I tried all that too, including the old driver.

Thus far:

iPhone–prints

iPad—prints

Mojave—prints

Brother's app on Big Sur—prints

Big Sur "File > Print"—no go

Wifi Direct—no go

Brother's support chat is asking me to contact Apple because it looks like it's the AirPrint that isn't working.

Jun 22, 2022 5:51 AM in response to Viewer00

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried the CUPS driver too but it didn't work for me! :-/ For now I've resorted to using a USB cable for my MacBook Pro, and airprinting from my iPad and iPhone. It's just so odd. Maybe I'll try the CUPS driver again.

Did you install just the CUPS driver or the full software package? On the download page for my printer, I see the full package (which I haven't tried) is newer than the CUPS driver (which I tried).

May 20, 2022 3:52 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan, I remember your help in the previous discussion.

Unfortunately my printer has been updated to the latest firmware.

I decided to try with an older MacBook Air running Mojave. I added the printer and printed—everything went smoothly as I'd expect.

Maybe it's a Big Sur problem, but open to any suggestions. This is extremely frustrating.

Jun 10, 2022 7:31 AM in response to _ray

The new MacBook Pro I have would not print to a Brother MFC-J775DW printer that had worked with an older MacBook. Airprint would not work, and the Brother website had no available driver for MacOS 12. I was able to get it to work by downloading and installing the driver that was available for MacOS 10.15 on the Brother support website. This installs the CUPS driver, which seems to work fine for even the newest MacOS. Hope this helps!

Brother 2750 printer—Cannot AirPrint from Mac. Works with iPhone & iPad and Brother app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.