Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damage on iPad due to the Apple Pencil magnet. Is it possible?

Hi,

I was aware of the magnetic dark marks on the Apple Pencil, but today, after leaving the iPad resting for 2 days with Apple Pencil connected, the black spot was bigger and it looks like it is damaging the iPad case. Did anyone have similar issue? I am nearly sure I need to bring it to Apple reseller…

i cleaned a little bit the the Pencil and the black spots are really strong, as you can see.

is there any risk of fire if the ipad case is cracked around the magnets?

Thank you

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 21, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2022 3:17 AM

What you illustrate is localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The illustrated marking corresponds with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present when docking the Pencil can abrade the hard-anodised finish of the iPad. 

Environmental contaminants are everywhere - even airborne dust contains very hard materials that will settle-out on surfaces.

Basic material science tells us that a hard/abrasive material will embed itself in the surface of the softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil) - and the now embedded material can (and will) abrade the surface of the harder material (the anodised coating) as the Pencil magnetically clips/slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2022 3:17 AM in response to snifferbrazil

What you illustrate is localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The illustrated marking corresponds with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present when docking the Pencil can abrade the hard-anodised finish of the iPad. 

Environmental contaminants are everywhere - even airborne dust contains very hard materials that will settle-out on surfaces.

Basic material science tells us that a hard/abrasive material will embed itself in the surface of the softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil) - and the now embedded material can (and will) abrade the surface of the harder material (the anodised coating) as the Pencil magnetically clips/slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

Damage on iPad due to the Apple Pencil magnet. Is it possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.