Apple pencil scratches

Hello, I would like to ask everyone if they have experienced this.

My parents recently got me a apple pencil for my 16th birthday (2nd generation)

we all know when we get our device its spotless but when i used it for the first time

and i put it back the next day i see a dark hole on my apple pencil and i go over to my magnet

area for my iPad air 2022 i see that the magnet has chipped my apple pencil

and its near my engraving so has everyone experienced this?

(Dont worry about my ipad name its from 2022 i was so cringy back then)

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 12:09 PM

What you describe is localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The illustrated marking on the Pencil body corresponds with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present when docking the Pencil can abrade the anodised finish of the iPad. 

Basic material science tells us that an hard/abrasive material will embed itself in the surface of the softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil) - and this can abrade the surface of the harder material (the anodised coating) as the Pencil slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 12:09 PM in response to Hannan2013

What you describe is localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The illustrated marking on the Pencil body corresponds with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present when docking the Pencil can abrade the anodised finish of the iPad. 

Basic material science tells us that an hard/abrasive material will embed itself in the surface of the softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil) - and this can abrade the surface of the harder material (the anodised coating) as the Pencil slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

Apple pencil scratches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.