Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil demages my iPad Air on the side where magnets are - according to Apple it is cosmetics???

Hi, does anyone has same experience?

after 1 month of use smal hair like scratches on the side of iPad and brown spots on Pencil, after 2 months get bigger and bigger.

Apple Pencile was changed as there was some issue, but in iPad case they say it is cosmetics - simply they ignore fact that the demage is casued by Pencil on iPad.

Best is they sent back new Pencil - I wanted to get it checked in different service center but not possible now

so I have pretty expensive new toy with scratches and they say its ok as it is only cosmetics

dissapoiting

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 10:15 AM

Great -- thnx for explanation

I feel much better now - after 2 month of use I have damaged luxury product that was damaged by additional recommended product

Pencil was replaced as damaged, coating burned through on those 2 places.

Of course there is not even slightest chance there would be some issue there - easiest is to say it is customers fault

I just wander how many of these cases exist - I use it just within the house, never travel with it keep it in protection cover

Nothing different comparing to shiny iPad adverts. There was no instructions to clean it to prevent to surface damage.

So there was either design issue with my Pencil (I guess that it was taken quickly to ged rid of proof) or this is normal feature of this product. Of course it is easier to ignore these cases by company - I thought Apple Thinks different and it is different

Very dissapointing

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 10:15 AM in response to LotusPilot

Great -- thnx for explanation

I feel much better now - after 2 month of use I have damaged luxury product that was damaged by additional recommended product

Pencil was replaced as damaged, coating burned through on those 2 places.

Of course there is not even slightest chance there would be some issue there - easiest is to say it is customers fault

I just wander how many of these cases exist - I use it just within the house, never travel with it keep it in protection cover

Nothing different comparing to shiny iPad adverts. There was no instructions to clean it to prevent to surface damage.

So there was either design issue with my Pencil (I guess that it was taken quickly to ged rid of proof) or this is normal feature of this product. Of course it is easier to ignore these cases by company - I thought Apple Thinks different and it is different

Very dissapointing

Jun 17, 2021 6:38 AM in response to brano145

What you describe is localised surface wear of the anodised finish of the iPad. The described marking appears to correspond with the magnetic contact points of your Apple Pencil. Any abrasive dust or grit that is present from the environment when docking the Pencil can abrade the anodised finish of the iPad. 

Basic material science tells us that hard/abrasive material will embed itself in the surface of a softer material (in this case, the body of the Pencil). Once embedded, hard particles are able to abrade the surface of other materials - such as anodised surface coating of the iPad - as the Pencil slides on/off of the iPad charging pad.

Keeping these surfaces clean and dust free can reduce the possibility of cosmetic surface damage.

Apple Pencil demages my iPad Air on the side where magnets are - according to Apple it is cosmetics???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.