Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to resize the display on my 27" iMac

I was messing with my display this morning to my fix my own errors and while I did resolve my initial problem, I now have a display that is far larger than my screen. I need to scroll to the edges to see all the icons and folders. I cannot figure out how to resize the display screen. The windows themselves are easy enough but my screen seems to be large enough for 45" display, but squeezed into a 27" one. The Apple in the upper left corner disappears if I scroll the screen far enough to the right to see the vertical line of icons and the clock and calendar, etc. It also has similar problems vertically. I need to scroll the screen up and down to see the top edge or the dock at the bottom.

There is no simple adjustment by putting the cursor in the corners to resize as you do with a window. This is the home screen itself.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 21, 2022 6:01 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 21, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Paul Tabone1

I think that there are two different issues under discussion.

One: you accidentally zoomed in your screen. This can be set under System Preferences->Accessibility.

I use this a lot, actually. If your settings are similar to mine, you can Zoom In by holding down Control and doing a scroll up gesture in the trackpad; and similarly Zoom Out and go back to normal with Control and scroll down.

Two: your menu bar and text are too small. For this, choose a different resolution in System Preferences->Displays.

May 21, 2022 6:53 AM in response to PRP_53

I actually was trying to make the screen image larger but wound up making the screen display itself larger, larger than the real estate it was showing on! Thankfully the reboot went to the default settings and I was able to also figure out my mistake.

Of course now I'm still stuck with too small type on the header of the computer, and the icons as well as the header on Safari. That is another issue to fiddle with today!

May 21, 2022 8:44 AM in response to PRP_53

Perhaps I'm missing the obvious but I can only change the dock size and the icons but the menu bar at the top doesn't change with any settings I've tried. I know it can be done because I did it before but that was so long ago I've forgotten the procedure and can't seem to locate it.

Also the type size on Safari is too small on both the tabs as well as the menu in Bookmarks, proportionate to the menu bar size. I somehow think the two are interconnected.

I need to resize the display on my 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.