Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook notes not syncing to iCloud; cause: Apple IST CA 2 - G1 Certificate expired

So last month my macbook lost the ability to sync notes with iCloud, and this was the fix: How I solved the Safari 13 and High Sierr… - Apple Community

However, that certificate has now expired, as of about 20 hours ago.

Does anyone know what do to from here? Will Apple update that certificate to allow syncing to recommence?

I have sent an email to the Apple PKI team with the same questions. Fingers crossed they get back to us all soon with a fix.

Posted on May 21, 2022 6:17 AM

7 replies

May 23, 2022 8:16 PM in response to Jasyan7

I had this same problem but don't have the GeoTrust Global CA cert mentioned. However, with your thanks to moscheja I was able to find that thread with the solution being that Apple released a new cert. All that needs to be done is to download that cert and double-click it to add it to the Keychain. I chose to change it from the login Keychain to the System Keychain (to be used by all users on the computer). It finally fixed the problem for me. Didn't have to reboot, or even restart Safari or Notes. I was just now able to login to iCloud, and Notes also just started syncing.

The Apple page to download the cert is: Apple PKI - Apple

The cert with the new expiration that I needed is Apple IST CA 2 - G1

No need to trust any other certs so I removed all the extra trusts I had done in trying to fix this over the last several days.

May 21, 2022 6:37 AM in response to Jasyan7

This is a potential fix from pedrocaiano:

Open Keychain Access, In Keychain access menu bar go to View/Show Expired Certificates. 

Double click on the Apple IST CA 2 - G1 Certificate, 

Expand Trust option, 

When using this certificate: Select "Always Trust".

Restart the Mac.

Unfortunately, it did not work for me, but appears to work for some. So it's worth a try if you have the same issue.

May 22, 2022 9:40 AM in response to Jasyan7

This needs to be done in addition to the above:

Solution: Additionally You had to Trust the Root Certificate of Geo Trust which is used in Apple IST CA 2 - G1

The signing Root CA "GeoTrust Global CA" in "System Roots" expired on May 21, 2022.

So set both the original "Apple IST CA 2 - G1" and "GeoTrust Global CA" to "always trust"

Many thanks to moscheja for the solution!

Everything now works for me!

Macbook notes not syncing to iCloud; cause: Apple IST CA 2 - G1 Certificate expired

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.