Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to export a Note to an image file (or PDFs that aren't miniature versions of the files)?

How to export a Note to an image file? When I try to export the Note, the only option is this mini/cropped PDF version which is useless (see attached- it might look normal there but the image is only 1/4th of the screen in the file). I don't know why anyone would want an export where the file is only displayed as a small portion of the screen. The process/result of exporting Notes is unnecessarily convoluted and confusing. The solution I've found is a work-around of screenshotting it. But then I need to crop it (just to make it its original dimensions). There has to be an easier/better way to do this.Why can't I just export it?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 23, 2022 5:01 AM

11 replies

May 23, 2022 12:23 PM in response to Andrew.Scandal

That's the pdf it creates if I select the note (in the list of notes), go to File > Export to Pdf. If I open the PDF, that's how it appears (as the small image with a grey outline and the title at the top, in the corner of a large white screen). Your method worked to export it as the original image but that's what happens when I choose to export it via the file menu. I'm not adding the note to anything else or anything. That's just what it creates

May 23, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Andrew.Scandal

I often type notes with my Apple Pencil on the iPad, and they are synced back the mac via iCloud.

If I then do File->Export as PDF... the resulting file is NOT a miniature.

It looks like your screenshot shows a pdf or image already inside a note.

In this case, do NOT just do File->Export as PDF... like this.

Double-click to open it and then export.

May 23, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Andrew.Scandal

We are all users like yourself.

You can let Apple know your views, and make feature requests, using the feeback page:

https://www.apple.com/feedback

I personally think the behavior is quite consistent. If you print or convert to pdf, you get a representation of how the note is looking right there in the screen in front of you.

If you open the pdf you can get all access to it.

May 23, 2022 10:36 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks, that did work. But that doesn't mean that it's logical that there should be a different result if I select the file from the Notes "browser" and click export or if I open it and then export it. Why would that result in different exports? It's the worst UI and the fact that I need to ask in a forum just to figure it out is proof that it's not at all clear. Just my searching to find the answer found countless other people asking "How can I export a jpeg from Notes?". Maybe Apple should add an "export as jpeg" option (that functions the same whether the file has been opened or not)! Anyway thanks

May 23, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I'm not doubting you but I don't understand it. Why would I want it presented like that? I haven't copied an image and pasted it on a larger background or anything. It's not reflecting the original image and it's never been altered to display it like that. I'm not sure why simply clicking "Export" changes it. I can do the same in Preview- I could export an image as PDF or JPEG. It doesn't position it in the corner of a large screen if I export it

How to export a Note to an image file (or PDFs that aren't miniature versions of the files)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.