Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to merge folders with obviously different contents, but only get "replace" option.

Folder A has subfolders 1, 2, and 3. Folder A1, which has the same name and where I want to merge files has subfolders 1 and 2 only. Finder is only offering the "replace", not "merge". The problem is that there are newer versions of files scattered throughout the folders in either folder, so a merge is required or I will lose data. is there a way to fix this other than going folder by folder and file by file? Seems like a primary folder/file maintenance function, so what am I missing?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 23, 2022 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 4:56 PM

What I found: the folder merging works only when one folder ISN'T a full copy or a subset of another one. For instance, trying to merge two folders with the same name while hitting Option will end up with different results, depending of folders' content:

• [a+b+c] merging to [a+b+c] = FAILURE (no 'Merge' button)
  • [a+b+c] merging to [a+b] = FAILURE
  • [a+b] merging to [a+b+c] = FAILURE

but

• [a+b] merging to [b+c] = SUCCESS (I can see 'Merge' button)

Well, for me it looks like a poor UI, but it is how they made it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2022 4:56 PM in response to Nholtra

What I found: the folder merging works only when one folder ISN'T a full copy or a subset of another one. For instance, trying to merge two folders with the same name while hitting Option will end up with different results, depending of folders' content:

• [a+b+c] merging to [a+b+c] = FAILURE (no 'Merge' button)
  • [a+b+c] merging to [a+b] = FAILURE
  • [a+b] merging to [a+b+c] = FAILURE

but

• [a+b] merging to [b+c] = SUCCESS (I can see 'Merge' button)

Well, for me it looks like a poor UI, but it is how they made it.

May 24, 2022 1:50 PM in response to Nholtra

Maybe there is a third party app out there that can do this, but I've never checked (you need to be careful in vetting third party apps).

It should be possible to create a script to automate the process. I'm not sure if AppleScript is the preferred method these days or not. I definitely cannot help with a script, but there are a few regular contributors who are very good at these things. It may be better to have this thread moved over to the Mac OS X Technologies forum where the scripting options are usually discussed.

Trying to merge folders with obviously different contents, but only get "replace" option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.