Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv passcode

I have Apple TV attached to my television. In the past I have only used it for Netflix, Prime, etc., as I had cable. I do not have a passcode. Randomly the screen will show a passcode with someone else's name. I just click it away and keep watching. When this first started I lived in an apartment building in NY and the name attached to the passcode was someone I knew in the building. When I asked her about it she said she had been having trouble accessing her ATV. Now I am in a different state and noticed it has happened here twice so far. I don't know who the passcode belongs to or why it keeps happening. Any ideas?

Apple TV HD, tvOS 15

Posted on May 23, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2022 11:01 AM

If the issue is not about the request for a password for an account that was previously used on this device,

then the issue may be about AirPlay access.

Nearby users may try to stream to your Apple TV, if your settings allow for that.

To prevent your neighbors from accidentally wanting to stream to your Apple TV, set your settings to only allow AirPlay from devices on your own home network, and not allow other nearby devices.

Settings﹥AirPlay and HomeKit﹥Allow Access﹥

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2022 11:01 AM in response to doreenwings

If the issue is not about the request for a password for an account that was previously used on this device,

then the issue may be about AirPlay access.

Nearby users may try to stream to your Apple TV, if your settings allow for that.

To prevent your neighbors from accidentally wanting to stream to your Apple TV, set your settings to only allow AirPlay from devices on your own home network, and not allow other nearby devices.

Settings﹥AirPlay and HomeKit﹥Allow Access﹥

May 23, 2022 9:42 AM in response to doreenwings

Custom installed apps stay linked to the account to was used to get them from the App Store. The account credentials may be asked for when app updates are available.

• To have all the apps linked to your account, delete and re-install the apps which were downloaded using the other account.
  • If you can’t figure out which apps, then perhaps you should reset the device to factory settings and set it up “as new”, to erase all settings that might reference the other account. This is also recommended when an Apple TV box gets a new user/​owner.

apple tv passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.