Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to protect pdf files

Some pdf files come to me so that when I click on them once, the whole page is selected -- I can't copy or add anything to the doc. Now that is protected! Can I do that with Preview? How?

I can already set a password for a pdf file, which prevents adding anything to it -- text, graphics, etc. That is different from the protection/security that I am looking for.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.1

Posted on May 23, 2022 3:14 PM

4 replies

May 23, 2022 8:55 PM in response to picas

Sorry for the confusion. Password protection means that when you click to change/add to a protected pdf, it asks for the password. I've got that, with enough granularity to do it OK. But, sometimes I receive pdf files that, when I click on them to change or add anything, the entire page is selected, & I'm not allowed to do _anything_ with it but print the puppy. It does not ask for a password, it simply highlights the entire page, and does not proceed.

Now that's protection. Can I/How do I do that with Preview?

How to protect pdf files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.