Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import from Bitwarden to Keychain

I'd like to import all my passwords from Bitwarden into keychain.

Bitwarden lets me export as json format.

Keychain manager has an option to import, but it can't see the json format from bitwarden.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 25, 2022 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 7:09 AM

I actually figured this out. 

1. Export from Bitwarden as a CSV file. 
  2. Open in Numbers. Locate the columns for “login_uri”, “login_username”, and “login_password”.
  3. Make sure these 3 columns have no blank cells (just put “aaa” to fill the cell). It’s okay if other columns have blank cells.
  4. Copy and paste the 3 columns to a new spreadsheet.
  5. Rename the columns to “url”, “username” and “password”.
  6. Reorder them so they go username, password, url. This order is important. 
  7. Export as CSV.
  8. Download Google Chrome. 
  9. In Google Chrome go the address: chrome://flags/#password-import-export 
  10. Enable the option for importing passwords.
  11. Go to Google Chrome settings > password (visit chrome://settings/passwords).
  12. Click the 3 dots above the password section and select “import passwords”. Then browse to the CSV you exported in step 7. 
  13. Nothing will happen, but if you exit and reopen Chrome and go back to password settings, the passwords should all be there.
  14. Open Safari, click file and import from Google Chrome. Select passwords.
  15. Now all your passwords are in Safari and  if you wait a bit they will appear in Keychain. 

Note: Once imported into Keychain, there doesn’t seem anyway to export them out (If you decide to go to another password manager). However, I imagine you could probably import from Safari to Edge and then use Edge’s options to export them as a CSV.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 7:09 AM in response to big_smile

I actually figured this out. 

1. Export from Bitwarden as a CSV file. 
  2. Open in Numbers. Locate the columns for “login_uri”, “login_username”, and “login_password”.
  3. Make sure these 3 columns have no blank cells (just put “aaa” to fill the cell). It’s okay if other columns have blank cells.
  4. Copy and paste the 3 columns to a new spreadsheet.
  5. Rename the columns to “url”, “username” and “password”.
  6. Reorder them so they go username, password, url. This order is important. 
  7. Export as CSV.
  8. Download Google Chrome. 
  9. In Google Chrome go the address: chrome://flags/#password-import-export 
  10. Enable the option for importing passwords.
  11. Go to Google Chrome settings > password (visit chrome://settings/passwords).
  12. Click the 3 dots above the password section and select “import passwords”. Then browse to the CSV you exported in step 7. 
  13. Nothing will happen, but if you exit and reopen Chrome and go back to password settings, the passwords should all be there.
  14. Open Safari, click file and import from Google Chrome. Select passwords.
  15. Now all your passwords are in Safari and  if you wait a bit they will appear in Keychain. 

Note: Once imported into Keychain, there doesn’t seem anyway to export them out (If you decide to go to another password manager). However, I imagine you could probably import from Safari to Edge and then use Edge’s options to export them as a CSV.

Import from Bitwarden to Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.