Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter not working

Hello All,

I have a M1 Macmini (Model 9,1) running OS 11.6 and a M1 MacBook

Pro (Model 17,1) running OS 11.6.  I have an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter connected to the MacBook Pro.  I have been unable to get the two machines to talk to each other using either a USB-C cable or a USB-3 cable between the respective ports.  With the USB-C cable I hear a chime when the connection is made, but the machines are not shown in the Finder sidebar.  With the USB-3 cable there

is no chime and no connection. 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CEU2

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 26, 2022 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 7:22 AM

For a one time fast transfer, then Target Disk Mode should work using a Thunderbolt connection.

see > Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

For something that you can use daily, you need to use a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection for File Sharing.

see > Set up file sharing on Mac - Apple Support

or optionally pay for and use iCloud.

see > Use iCloud File Sharing to share folders and documents with others - Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 7:22 AM in response to CEU2

For a one time fast transfer, then Target Disk Mode should work using a Thunderbolt connection.

see > Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

For something that you can use daily, you need to use a Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection for File Sharing.

or optionally pay for and use iCloud.

see > Use iCloud File Sharing to share folders and documents with others - Apple Support

May 29, 2022 8:39 AM in response to CEU2

That is correct, Target Disk Mode is not intended for everyday use.

Not sure what you read, but File Sharing is done over your local WI-Fi or Ethernet Network.

What USB thumb drive do you have?

Using a USB thumb drive to share files between the Mac's is also a good idea.

To do that, plug the thumb drive into one Mac and copy files to the thumb drive, then plug the thumb drive into the other Mac and copy those files to the other Mac.

Jun 4, 2022 7:55 AM in response to CEU2

Hello All,

Well, I finally stumbled across an Apple document that

clearly states that an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter does not

support data transfer.  Quoting that

document - “Use the USB-C port of this adapter for charging your Mac notebook

or iPad Pro, not for data transfer or video.” 

The USB-A port is capable of transferring data at up to

5Gbps, but I have not been able to get that to work using a USB-3 cable.  The document states that an Apple Lightining

to USB cable will work, but I do not have one of those. 

A link to the document

About the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple Support

- cntf

Cheers,

CEU2

May 29, 2022 7:33 AM in response to den.thed

Hello den.thed,

Thanks for the links to the information.  I am looking for a solution that I will use

every few days, so the Target Disk Mode is not very attractive.  I had previously read the Apple file sharing document,

and that is why I purchased the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.  I can read a USB thumb drive using that

adapter, but the USB-C port does not seem to work.  I am assuming that there is some setting somewhere

that I do not have correct. 

Do you have any ideas why the USB-C port is not working?

Cheers,

CEU2

May 31, 2022 7:54 AM in response to den.thed

Hello den.thed,

Thanks for your continued interest in working my problem.  

The document I read was for OS 11, but it looks essentially

the same. 

Reading between the lines of this discussion, evidently

there is no setting I missed.  The Apple product description says that the standard USB port can be

used for “…. syncing and charging your Mac or iPad", I assumed syncing is the same as file sharing,

and that the term “standard USB” included USB-3, I guess I am wrong on one or both counts.

In addition, the document states “You can also connect a charging cable to the USB-C port to charge your Mac or iPad.” 

So, I guess that means just what it says, and there are no other uses for the USB-C port, strange as that seems.

I use ScanSticks, and as indicated previously, I can share

files via Wi-Fi but for larger files that is slow on my network.

I have been using Macs since the late 1980’s, so sorting out

connection and sharing problems is not new, but Big Sur is the most

user-unfriendly Mac OS I have ever delt with. 

For desktop users, it is depressing, an additional example, the

inability to use the drag button on trackballs.

Cheers,

CEU2

May 31, 2022 8:24 AM in response to CEU2

The charge and sync cable thing is for syncing and sharing between a Mac and iOS devices.

Your other options for faster sharing between Mac’s is a direct Ethernet connection or a true Thunderbolt connection.

An Ethernet connection is what I use for sharing between several Mac’s. A direct Ethernet connection is faster and more reliable than Wi-Fi.

A Thunderbolt connection requires a true Thunderbolt 3 cable (not a USB-C cable) and needs to be setup in the Network Preference as a Thunderbolt Bridge.

Jun 1, 2022 8:28 AM in response to den.thed

Hello den.thed,

The ethernet port on the Mac mini is already in use, it is connected to the ethernet port of a 27-inch iMac running OS 10.13. 

I use the iMac as a monitor for the Mac mini via screen sharing.  The Mac mini is running “headless.”

Your comment about Thunderbolt Bridge is new to me, is there

any Apple literature on what it is and how to use it?

Cheers,

CEU2

Jun 2, 2022 11:08 AM in response to den.thed

Hello den.thed,

Thanks for the additional information.  After reading it, I don’t think that will be

of any help. 

Let me restate the problem, hopefully with a bit more

clarity.  If I connect the USB-C port of

the Mac mini to the USB-C port of the MacBook Pro using an Apple USB-C to USB-C

charging cable, the two machines communicate. 

If I use an Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter on the MacBook Pro and

that same cable, then the two machines do not communicate. I also have a

Satechi Type-C Multiport Adapter that behaves the same way.  So, it looks to me like the problem is with

the adapter not working with Big Sur. 

Any suggestions on that specific point?

Cheers,

CEU2

Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.