Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMG_xxx.JPG versus IMG_xxx.JPG*

Hello

Can someone, please, explain, why there's an asterix (*) trailing my photos, after importing them directly using the finder (drag and drop) to my iMac?

Two examples:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 thomas staff 13M 26 Mai 15:05 IMG_1030.JPG*

-rwxrwxrwx 1 thomas staff 77M 26 Mai 15:05 IMG_1030.CR2*

After resizing in Photoshop and saving (save for web) this asterix disapeared:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 thomas staff 1,5M 27 Mai 11:15 IMG_1030.jpg

After saving the meta and exif data of course have been altered, geo location has been removed.

Is the asterix the indicator for such data?

Thanks and regards

Thomas

Posted on May 27, 2022 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 4:06 AM

Instead of Google, I should have thougt of the man page :-)

There it says:

-F Display a slash (`/') immediately after each pathname that is a directory, an asterisk (`*') after each

that is executable, an at sign (`@') after each symbolic link, an equals sign (`=') after each socket, a

percent sign (`%') after each whiteout, and a vertical bar (`|') after each that is a FIFO.

Thanks anyway ...

Thomas

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 4:06 AM in response to Thomas Stalder

Instead of Google, I should have thougt of the man page :-)

There it says:

-F Display a slash (`/') immediately after each pathname that is a directory, an asterisk (`*') after each

that is executable, an at sign (`@') after each symbolic link, an equals sign (`=') after each socket, a

percent sign (`%') after each whiteout, and a vertical bar (`|') after each that is a FIFO.

Thanks anyway ...

Thomas

IMG_xxx.JPG versus IMG_xxx.JPG*

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.