Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Column view width adjusters missing from iMac.

I have two Macs, and iMac and a MacBook Pro. both have the same OS installed (Monterey) and both versions are up to date. On the MacBook, the finder column width sliders are available when I hover the cursor over the border but on the iMac, the width remains fixed regardless. This is massively annoying and I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. I've tried the "always scrolling" setting in preferences and I've dragged the spacing option the toolbar but nothing I do allows me to drag the columns wider. Clearly for whatever reason, making an option which fixes the width of these columns is ill-advised at best. There's no reason for it. I've googled solutions to fix this and nothing I've seen recommended has worked in changing this setting.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and any Apple staff seeing this, please, please get rid of this fixed width setting option. It's not needed and extremely not useful.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 27, 2022 7:58 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

May 27, 2022 5:47 PM in response to boomchucka

It took awhile but I finally made those incredibly small, very difficult to see at 5k sizing marks at the bottom of the column divider visible. This must be a Monterey thing. Previous versions of the Mac OS allowed me to just hover over any part of the border to resize. That was better, I think. It seems like a fix for something that wasn't broken.

But thanks everyone for the responses. Much appreciated.

May 27, 2022 8:41 AM in response to boomchucka

I am not sure I understand: are you saying you can't change the width of the columns in Finder?

Which of these is currently selected in System Preferences->General:

The width of the column separators, and the places where you can click and drag, change depending on the option selected.

With the one I have, there is a thin separator, and you can drag anywhere on it:

With "Always", the separator is wider, but you need to click at the bottom:

Column view width adjusters missing from iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.