Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

THUNDERBOLT 4 TO THUNDERBOLT 2 ADAPTER

I just installed my new Mac Studio and all is well - and fast! Except for one thing. I do have an external drive using Thunderbolt 2. Even though Mac Studio is using Thunderbolt 4, it is recommended to purchased an adapter Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2. It is supposed to work but it doesn't. My external hard disk does not appear on my desk. I checked in the Finder preferences and the external disk is checked so it should show up. The other issue is that when I plug it in it seems to interfere with my mouse. The mouse freezes in the first part of starting up the computer. I have to select the user using arrows. Afterward the system is on, the mouse works just fine. When I unplug the external disk the mouse works perfectly from the beginning. So will I have to wait for Apple to make a Thunderbolt 4 to 2 adapter?

Mac Studio, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 27, 2022 8:21 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

May 28, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant - I did download and installed the driver. It still does not work and the mouse freezes. I need to sign up as a guest to unfreeze it. When this is done I can log in as usual and the mouse keeps being OK. So it has some kind of incompatibility. It is probably too old and not supported anymore. Too bad. I will connect it with my macbook and copy/replace it with a compatible new drive.

May 28, 2022 12:12 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Agreed! That is why I tried to uninstall it. But it failed somehow. So now I have been told to reinstall it in order to be able to uninstall it again. But I cannot do either at this point! Maybe I should have uninstall it in my old Mac before using Migration assistant to transfer all my stuff on the new Mac Studio. But it's too late for that now. I am waiting for a reply from Sophos to complete this process.

Thank you Grant!

Jun 6, 2022 8:45 PM in response to Otterburn

Hello everyone. I seem to have a similar issue. I had been using a OWC drive. Raided as a 12tb. Worked perfectly with my iMac 5K (late 2014). Now, I just connected it to my brand new Mac Studio via a Apple Thunderbolt adapter ( from 2 to 3) and.... nada.

The drive appears as 4 partitions in Disk Utitlity but that's it. Kinda panicking. Do I need to buy a whole new drive? I need help.

Thank you for your time.

Jun 7, 2022 8:50 AM in response to Ordaco

I agree the drives are fine, and the enclosure is working.

But showing partitions controlled by UUID 86FA30DA-9202-96F1-871EC6486200 rather than Core Storage Volume or Group indicates the software to run those drive is not loaded on your Mac, or the software is not installed correctly, or the software is damaged.

What software did you use on what Mac to create those Volumes? You need to install or update it on your newer Mac as well.

For OWC drives, that might be SoftRAID software.

THUNDERBOLT 4 TO THUNDERBOLT 2 ADAPTER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.