Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Mouse

Mouse worked perfectly but without changing anything mouse stopped working as did the Trackpad. I have a Macbook Air w/Big Sur. (11/6.1). Both Thunderbolt outlets have multiple USB C adapters.

When I boot, same problem! If I remove the Thunderbolt that contains the mouse and immediately plug it back in, both the mouse and the trackpad work. I reinstalled Big Sur, but still the same.

What's the problem?

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 12:46 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 21, 2021 12:50 PM in response to roroco1

roroco1,

Got it, so the issue is happening before even logging into a user. Earlier you mentioned you reinstalled macOS Big Sur while in macOS Recovery, did the same issue happen there as well? Also, another step you can take is to run Apple Diagnostics, which can help detect any possible hardware issues: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If no hardware issues are found with diagnostics and after all the steps you've already taken, you can contact Apple Support for further assistance here: Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Nov 16, 2021 11:16 AM in response to roroco1

Hey roroco1,

It appears that your USB mouse and the trackpad of your MacBook Air will stop working, until you unplug your USB mouse and plug it back in, but the issue returns. Are you plugging the mouse directly into your MacBook Air or are you using an USB hub with your USB mouse and USB-C adapters? When you reinstalled macOS Big Sur, did you erase your disk and reinstall macOS and set your MacBook Air up as new or did you reinstall macOS while in macOS Recovery? We want to make sure we understand the step you've taken.

Best wishes.

Nov 17, 2021 10:51 AM in response to roroco1

roroco1,

Thanks for letting us know. We're asking questions and can recommend steps that can possibly help isolate this issue. Knowing those previous details help. Are you able to use a different adapter to plug the USB mouse straight into your MacBook Air? If yes, does the same issue still happen?

Also, do you notice this happening at the user login screen or on a different screen?

Take care.

USB Mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.