Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can download MacOS DVD Player for Monterey OS?

I just connected a Sony Internal DVD Player from an old PC. Connected with my SATA USB 3.0 adapter.

Ken

MacMini running Monterey

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on May 27, 2022 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 10:17 AM

In Big Sur, the DVD Player app lives at /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/DVD Player.app. I don't know why.

I assume it's in the same location on Monterey.

Go there and do one of several things:

1) Make an alias of the app and drop that alias into your Applications folder. It will appear as any other app in Launchpad.

2) Drag the DVD Player app onto your dock to create a launch point there. Please see > Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

EDIT - adding that DVD Player should launch automatically when you insert a dvd into the drive, in any case. If it does not, then you can launch it manually with access as I described above.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 10:17 AM in response to KenZakreski

In Big Sur, the DVD Player app lives at /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/DVD Player.app. I don't know why.

I assume it's in the same location on Monterey.

1) Make an alias of the app and drop that alias into your Applications folder. It will appear as any other app in Launchpad.

2) Drag the DVD Player app onto your dock to create a launch point there. Please see > Use the Dock on Mac - Apple Support

EDIT - adding that DVD Player should launch automatically when you insert a dvd into the drive, in any case. If it does not, then you can launch it manually with access as I described above.

May 27, 2022 10:25 AM in response to KenZakreski

You may need to get and use an Apple USB SuperDrive or a Mac compatible USB Optical DVD/CD drive.

for the Apple USB SuperDrive, see > Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

for other options like OWC and some LG's

see > https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives

see > https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-double-layer-dvdrw-r-ram-cd-rw-drive-black/5581020.p?

For more, see > https://www.imore.com/best-cddvd-drives-mac

May 27, 2022 12:32 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

D.I. Johnson wrote:

3: Command-Space to activate Spotlight, and type DVD Player (or as much as you need of the name) and select the app when it appears in the Spotlight search results to launch the player. Once it’s launched, control-click on the DVD Player icon in the dock, and select Keep In Dock from the pop-up menu.

May 27, 2022 11:37 AM in response to KenZakreski

A Windows player app will not work on macOS, and a USB-connected optical media drive formerly from a Windows system USB can work, or not, depending on the particular device, a d depending on available bus power. Optical drives are not known for their robust construction, and can fail. Or fail to read specific (usually recordable or rewritable) media. Some can also require a fair amount of USB bus power, such as the Apple SuperDrive. The Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter can provide that necessary power. Other adapters and docks might not.

There are other apps available that can playback media, if you are referring to a player app and not an optical media drive; hardware. One of the more widely-used video apps is VLC.

May 27, 2022 12:59 PM in response to KenZakreski

KenZakreski wrote:

I have a usb 3 to sata adapter so power should be good but no luck. The tray wont open.

Ill try another drive.

Is that USB-C to USB-A adapter the Apple adapter? Those usually work. It’s the third-party adapters that can be dicy with SuperDrive. Some third-party adapters will specifically disclaim SuperDrive support, because of the (lack of) power.

And SuperDrive is not a SATA device, it’s a USB device. Specifically, a USB 2.0 device. USB 2.0 is compatible with USB 3.x and USB 4 buses, connector differences and available power aside.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.