Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to permanently delete apps from an iPhone

I have seen several people ask this question and all the replies seem to lead us back to the same support article, which only describes how to temporarily remove the app from the phone screens — this does not delete the app from the app library. The apps still remain available through the Apps app and can be reinstalled. What some of us are asking is how do we COMPLETELY remove forever all the dozens or hundreds of apps we have accumulated over the years?

The answer used to be to sync the phone to iTunes on your laptop and delete apps from there. Well, I have never synced my new iPhone to my current laptop and iTunes is now Music, without the app library. Some iPhone users do not have Apple computers. So where does the app library exist where we can delete apps we don't want anymore?

Posted on May 27, 2022 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2022 10:45 AM

Despite what you think you remember there never was a way to permanently delete something from the purchased list. When apps could be saved and installed from your computer you could delete them from your computer and if you synced your iPhone they would not be installed. But they were still in your purchase history. You can no longer save apps on your computer, arrange your apps on the computer nor sync them from there. And no, they will never fade away.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2022 10:45 AM in response to Antique_Megan

Despite what you think you remember there never was a way to permanently delete something from the purchased list. When apps could be saved and installed from your computer you could delete them from your computer and if you synced your iPhone they would not be installed. But they were still in your purchase history. You can no longer save apps on your computer, arrange your apps on the computer nor sync them from there. And no, they will never fade away.

May 27, 2022 10:34 AM in response to deggie

Okay, just to confirm, I understand removing apps from the Library by swiping to the left from the Home screen to get to the Library — the choice is “Delete App.” And I understand hiding them from within the App Store app, in my case from the Not on this iPhone screen.

So, you are saying that that is it? The ability to delete permanently from the purchased list no longer exists? Am I misremembering this was possible from within the old iTunes? I suppose after enough time passes, the thought of all those pesky “hidden” apps will fade away.

Thank you, I appreciate the reply.

How to permanently delete apps from an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.