Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Studio Display stop charging MacBook Pro (16 inch M1 Max) when it is shut down with thunderbolt left plugged in?

I'm using a set up with the M1 Max 16 inch MacBook Pro plugged in via thunderbolt to the Studio display. When I shut down the MB Pro the studio display powers down and I can see all the peripherals connected to the studio display also power down. If I leave the thunderbolt connected to the MB Pro (while shut down) will the display keep passively passing charge to the laptop?

Also I tried removing the thunderbolt cable once everything is powered down but it prompts the display to get power again, I noticed this because when I did that all the peripherals connected to the display got power again. I left it overnight to see if there was any time out limit the studio display had to power off and it did not, the peripherals stayed powered on and my connected SSD stayed powered.

Studio Display

Posted on May 29, 2022 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 8:54 AM

Your MacBook Pro  uses smart charging to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

An external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (like certain displays)  can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge. 

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 8:54 AM in response to moghul89

Your MacBook Pro  uses smart charging to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

An external power supply that provides "USB Power Delivery" (like certain displays)  can not 'force itself' on your Mac. The Voltage and Current are delivered only after your Mac requests and the charger agrees to supply power under certain controlled conditions. The computer is in control of the entire process.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which will be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge. 

Does Studio Display stop charging MacBook Pro (16 inch M1 Max) when it is shut down with thunderbolt left plugged in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.