Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I work out if my Apple TV 4K supports thread? Is the older one with big square touch pad in remote

How can I work out if my Apple TV 4K supports thread? Is the older one with big square touch pad in remote

Posted on May 29, 2022 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 4:26 AM

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) (A1842, introduced in 2017) does not support ‘thread’ (non-Wi-Fi mesh networking device-to-device) for home automation accessories.

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) (A2169, introduced in 2021) does support ‘thread’ for home automation accessories.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Look for A1842 or A2169 in Settings, or on the bottom of the device, or on the original packaging box.

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) technical specifications - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) technical specifications - Apple Support

If your model Apple TV originally came with the black Siri Remote (1st generation), then you have Apple TV 4k (1st generation). The Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) shipped with the newer model Siri Remote, introduced at the same time: aluminum with the round navigation pad and ~8 other buttons.

Identify your Apple TV remote - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2022 4:26 AM in response to ianrm57

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) (A1842, introduced in 2017) does not support ‘thread’ (non-Wi-Fi mesh networking device-to-device) for home automation accessories.

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) (A2169, introduced in 2021) does support ‘thread’ for home automation accessories.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Look for A1842 or A2169 in Settings, or on the bottom of the device, or on the original packaging box.

Apple TV 4K (1st generation) technical specifications - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) technical specifications - Apple Support

If your model Apple TV originally came with the black Siri Remote (1st generation), then you have Apple TV 4k (1st generation). The Apple TV 4K (2nd generation) shipped with the newer model Siri Remote, introduced at the same time: aluminum with the round navigation pad and ~8 other buttons.

Identify your Apple TV remote - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.