You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate external hard drive not recognize in disk utility on MPB

I have a Seagate Freeagent Goflex external hard drive which is connected to a desk adapter which it came with ...purchased in 2012 I think...I have a 2020 MBP. When I plug it in no light is present on the desk adapter...I hear and feel it humming like it's starting up, then I hear some intermittent clicking, then it seems to stop..

I've looked on disk utility while it feels like it's trying to connect but there's nothing

went to About this mac>system report>and found it with the following screenshot information

Is there anything else I can try, or am I just out of luck?

Cables are good, checked them with other drives

Also tried to connect with my other MPB with no luck

Posted on May 30, 2022 11:12 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 30, 2022 1:35 PM in response to Curt Casassa

Hi, Curt Cassasa, yes, it’s quite possible…you’re on the right track… i presume you’ve already tried to run Disk Utility’s disk first aid on the GoFlex with no luck… i’ve used DataRescue3 in the past with great success… i don’t know what version DataRescue is up to nowadays, just that it worked for me… you’d have to remove the suspected bad drive from the seagate freeagent GoFlex enclosure and put it into a usb external drive enclosure( presumably a powered one) then do a reset smc/pmu and zap pram 3-4 times on startup*, then, plug the suspected bad drive into a power source , then plug its usb cable into one of the usb sockets on your 2020 MBP.. then run DataRescue, cross your fingers, pray( if you do that) and hope you get very lucky and that Data Rescue can save your proverbial bacon… you may get lucky and data rescue will be able to work its “magic’… if not, you’d have to take it to a data recovery company…

good luck

john b

* here’s how to do that : https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reset-macs-smc-pram/

Seagate external hard drive not recognize in disk utility on MPB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.