Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I hearing crackling on my macbook pro laptop

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 30, 2022 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2022 6:19 PM

Try using headphones or external speakers to see if the problem is with the audio in general or just the built-in speakers.

You don't mention the exact model Mac (very important info to have), but if it is an older Mac, then most likely the speakers are bad. I've seen an extraordinarily high rate of distorted speakers on the MBPro 2014 models (and 2015 as well).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2022 6:19 PM in response to giraffe5

Try using headphones or external speakers to see if the problem is with the audio in general or just the built-in speakers.

You don't mention the exact model Mac (very important info to have), but if it is an older Mac, then most likely the speakers are bad. I've seen an extraordinarily high rate of distorted speakers on the MBPro 2014 models (and 2015 as well).

Jun 3, 2022 10:24 AM in response to HWTech

My 16" MacBook Pro has a left speaker crackling. There's a long thread on macRumors regarding crackling of MacBook Pro speakers. I've seen one other post mentioning just the left speaker. When I plug in headphones, the headphone sound is clear.

However, I think this is a software issue. If I remove the two .plist files in the Audio folder (within Computer>Library), the crackling sound goes away for a period of time, not always, but sometimes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.